IEC Dual citizenship help!

Aidanwalsh57

IEC Dual citizenship help.

1. aidanwalsh57Newbie40
    #1Today at 6:18 PM
    My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Hello,
    I am looking to apply for IEC Canada.
    I have dual citizenship and passports for both Ireland and the United Kingdom.

I applied for an IEC visa a few years ago on my UK passport and received the port of entry. I did not use the visa and it expired.
    I confirmed that I am able to apply for a new IEC under my Irish passport. The main concern I have is that I reside in the UK and have done since birth (minus 2 years in Australia) and have never infact lived in Ireland.

1) Will this be an issue when applying for the IEC visa? Or do I just state in a letter I have dual citizenship through descent?

2) Will I need a police check for Ireland (never lived or stayed longer than two weeks) or just the UK and Australia.

3) If I still have to get the police checks for UK and Australia, do I do so under my Irish or UK passport? (Entered Aus on UK passport, lived in UK my whole life since birth and have not travelled with my Irish passport)

I would appreciate a detailed response on this matter and also any advice you may have. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. This is a very good question. To the best of my knowledge, it's your nationality that counts, not your residence. But I could be wrong about that.
  2. Police checks are normally required if you have lived somewhere for at least 5 months. So I wouldn't think you'd need one for Ireland.
  3. They wouldn't have a record of you under your Irish passport, so presumably you would need to use your UK passport so that they know it's you, not an Irish person with the same name and date of birth.
Please note these are guesses on my part. I am just the webmaster.

ksvisalaw

Let me help you:
Twin nationality manner that a person is sure by using the laws and duties of every country in which he or she is a citizen. as such, certain conflicts of interest can arise. for example, being a citizen of a country with obligatory navy service and we may want to bring about an automatic revocation of your u.s. citizenship have to you ever be known as to serve.
you get more details https://www.ksvisalaw.com/dual-citizenship-pros-cons/