Iec extention denied

Robstokes

Hey guys,

So my final iec ran out in late June and so I applied for an extention, which got denied (as expected) this morning.

I will stop working immediately but I want to stay in Canada until oct 14 as I have a wedding to attend then I am heading home to England for the winter.

Now my confusion comes from the working in my denial letter, it says I am without legal status in Canada and need to leave immediately. It's the immediately bit that confuses me, are we talking tomorrow? Next week?

I am currently waiting on a out of Canada spousal sponsorship pr application and the lawyer here in whistler that advised me on this also told me that when my iec is denied, and my implied status is up, I have upto 90 days to leave Canada.

Now I would tend to trust him but another couple of facts he told us have turned out to be untrue.

Am I good to stay, not working for another month or should I flag pole and come in a a tourist for a few weeks?

I want to get this right as I don't want it affecting my pr.

Thanks

Anthony Doherty

Hey Rob,

You will need to restore your status to that of a visitor. Are you eligible for another IEC when they are issued in December? If you go to the border you may have complications re-entering Canada because of your lack of status. It is much safer to submit an application online and await the decision. You have 90 days to restore from the date of the refusal letter.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Robstokes

Thank you,

I was pretty sure this was the case but wanted to make sure.

I am leaving Canada in 30days, which is obviously withing the required time to change my status so all should be good to stay "without status" in the mean time.

I have used all my IEC visas so will not be applying in December.

Thanks again

Anthony Doherty

Are you gong to remain in England until a decision is made on your PR? I always advise clients to maintain status at all costs or show that you are making efforts to restore status. Just remember that from now until you leave you have no status.

Robstokes

Hi,

I will be back in canada for a week or so around Christmas/new year to see my partner. I doubt my pr will be granted by them, with current waiting times it's looking more like march.....fingers crossed!

What does it mean for me being without status? Anything I should worry about-could it affect my pr application?

Thanks for your help again.

Anthony Doherty

You should restore your status as a visitor and request the extension until after the wedding. You should always maintain status. Being in Canada without status could negatively impact your PR application.