IEC to implied status to BCPNP

sarahlou

Hi -i'm loving this forum and really hope you can help.

I'm a UK citizen living in Canada on the IEC 2013 visa.
My visa is set to expire on the 11th of April but my work and I have put in an application to the BC Provincial Nominee Programme.
Although we put in the application some time ago, unfortunately it seems my IEC visa is going to expire before I get my decision from the BC PNP.
We are really busy at work at the moment so its really not ideal for me to stop working and I don't want to leave my boss in the lurch.
I was interested to read on your website that it is legal to apply to extend your IEC visa and gain implied status before your application is refused.
Every other source I come across online and also the CIC call centre states that you can not have implied status on an IEC visa.
You state on your site that applying for a work visa extension could buy you a couple of weeks. If I apply by post will this buy me more time? I notice the processing time is 50 days for a mail application as opposed to 2 weeks for applications online.
Are you sure this is all legal and will not effect the BC PNP'S decision?
At the moment it sounds too good to be true.

Anthony Doherty

Hi Sarah, First of all I would not recommend that you file for an extension on your current work permit, not when you have a PNP application in process. When did you apply for the BC PNP?
Have you called the BC PNP office to inform them of your situation? Please let us know so we can better assist you.

sarahlou

Hi Anthony. I filed my BC PNP application at the end of January. I should have a decision by mid may- a month after my visa expires. The BC PNP say to go on visitor status.

Anthony Doherty

Hi Sarah, The BC PNP are correct, you will have to change your status to visitor until you receive your nomination letter, then you can apply for a work permit.

sarahlou

I just spoke to the BC PNP again and asked them if it would be frowned upon if i applied to extend my work visa through cic just to get implied status even though i knew the application would be denied. They basically said its not something they would look at- as long as i'd taken action to remain in the country legally!

Anthony Doherty

Hey Sarah, Thanks for calling, I hope we provided you with the answers to your questions. We wish you all the best with your BC PNP application and permanent residency.

immisamm

Hi! I think this is similar to my situation. My question is, how do you know if you have 'implied status' - does it say it on a confirmaion email after applying for a visitor visa or is it on the visa/permit itself when it arrives? Thanks!