Immigrate to Canada with an Autistic Child

Gaurav

I have an 11 year old with ASD and we are looking to immigrate to Canada. What are the rules& regulations around this? Is it possible to do and if yes where does one start? I believe there have been recent amendments to the laws last year which permit such cases to enter the country but have not been able to find any concrete information on similar cases that may have been accepted since.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I am just the forum admin, not a lawyer or RCIC, so I cannot offer you a legal opinion. To the best of my knowledge, this is at the discretion of the officer reviewing your application. They are allowed to refuse immigrants who would cause a burden to the Canadian health care system. However, it could be argued in court that this regulation would violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the case of something like ASD. (I don't personally know of the amendments you speak of but if you have a link I'd be happy to take a look.)

I'm sorry to say I think the right course of action is to speak to a lawyer who has handled medical inadmissibility cases previously. I'm not sure you're going to get the right advice without doing so.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.