Impact on PR application if moving out of Canada

ankitmehta19

Hi,

I am currently working in Canada on close work permit and planning to apply for PR.

While my PR application is in process if I move out of Canada for a year then will that have any impact on my PR application ?

Thanks,
Ankit

ankitmehta19

If you leave after you submitted your PR application, I don't believe it will have an impact.
Thanks for your quick reply.

But on immigration website(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28) it is mentioned that

"If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it."

In my case my company is transferring me to USA so I am not sure if my close work permit will still be valid. So will this be a cause of worry ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in my I am not a lawyer or an RCIC. My take on this: you must be admissible to Canada with a valid travel document (visa or eTA) and status document (work permit, study permit, etc). If you are deemed inadmissible when you try to renew one of these things, or if you are deemed inadmissible at the Port of Entry, they may abandon your application.

ankitmehta19

Keep in my I am not a lawyer or an RCIC. My take on this: you must be admissible to Canada with a valid travel document (visa or eTA) and status document (work permit, study permit, etc). If you are deemed inadmissible when you try to renew one of these things, or if you are deemed inadmissible at the Port of Entry, they may abandon your application.
Thanks for quick reply.

But once my PR gets approved then I will get COPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence) to enter Canada then why I need to worry about valid travel document (visa or eTA) and status document (work permit, study permit, etc) ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you don't once you have your COPR but if you try to re-enter before you get your COPR, you would need the travel document to fly back, for example.