Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Can I stay in Canada only with my eTa approved status meanwhile the program is running? If not, what

• When it would be appropriate to send the Sponsorship application? Before or after my civic wedding d

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi! I hope you can help me.

I am Mexican and my fianc? is Canadian. I arrived to Canada with the new policy of getting an eTa (I don't have tourist visa) last December 2016, and now We are close to get married next may 06th, 2017. After the ceremony, we want to apply immediately for the Inland Sponsorship Program now as the legal Spouse. But I am worry about my legal stay here in Canada meanwhile the process is running. Cause if I had a tourist visa, the maximum time allowed for me to stay it would be 6 months... and that it would be next June. So...

1. Can I stay in Canada only with my eTa approved status meanwhile the program is running? If not, what should I do?
2. When it would be appropriate to send the Sponsorship application? Before or after my civic wedding day
3. When can I start applying for the work/study permit? (If I need it for be able to stay legally in the country?)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Your eTA is just a travel document and does not relate to your legal status in Canada - it's your entry stamp that matters. Since you are getting sponsored, you are okay as long as you do not leave Canada during the process.
[*]You should absolutely wait to submit the application until you are legally married.
[*]You can submit your work permit or study permit application on the day you submit the sponsorship application. You shouldn't delay, as there have been lots of delays with these permits and it will take a while.
[/list]
I hope I was able to help.

Thanks a lot Riley!

Your answer really calm me down. Actually our original idea is to not leave Canada until the process is done.

We will start to fill out all the documentation and to dig over all the proof we have about our relationship. So I wonder if there is someone in IMMIGROUP who can help us to check that all our information is accurate and correct to have it ready and to submit it after our wedding day. And if there is, how it works and how much it is for this service...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there is: we offer reviews of sponsorship applications. The cost varies by the complexity of the case (and the number of applicants) but our fees start at $550+HST. If you send us an email at [email protected] or call us at 1-866-760-2623, we can give you the exact price.
If you are in the GTA, you could come in to the office and bring the documents with you. Otherwise, you'd either need to mail copies to us or scan them and email them to us.