Inland Vs. Outland spousal sponsorship

REENU

I am getting married on Dec16,2020. Shall I apply for TRV for my spouse first and than Inland Spousal sponsorship OR First outside Canada Spousal sponsorship and dual intent TRV .I am a PR here in Canad .

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
In non pandemic times it's very unlikely for someone getting sponsored outland to get a TRV during the process. This could well be different right now due to the measures to allow family to reunite during the pandemic: https://www.immigroup.com/news/come-canada-visitor-during-covid-prove-your-family-relationship But I really don't know.

In normal times I recommend your future spouse apply for a TRV and, if successful, come here and get sponsored inland. However, that's pretty hard right now (see above article).

REENU

Hi Riley ,Completely agree with your comment. Due to Covid-19 the TRV processing time is almost 4 to 5 months . So my plan is to apply outland spousal sponsorship with dual intent TRV. Thanks

REENU

Dual intent means TRV plus already filed spousal application . It means in case of PR approval the applicant can change the TRV to PR as PR application is already filed based on outland sponsorship.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
"Dual intent" is when a foreigner enters Canada to be sponsored but with the intention of leaving Canada if the sponsorship application is refused. It is a really touchy and risky - I don't know what the success percentage is - and happens with people who are either ineligible for a visa or already have a visa. Maybe I'm misinformed but, to the best of my knowledge, if she applies for a visa and claims she is doing both of these things, her visa application will be refused.