Lack of Co-habitation proof

Samlo

I'm sponsoring my partner for PR under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. After a lot of back and forth correspondence - things seemed to be looking up. However, yesterday we received a letter saying that the officer is not satisfied with the limited proof we've sent to show that we have been living together for 1 year prior to sending in the application.

We've sent in bank account statements, bills with both of our names on it, our drivers licenses with the same address etc - but it doesn't show proof it was from a year prior to submitting the application (because it wasn't). When I met my partner, I had lived in the apartment I bought 4 years prior to meeting him. As the relationship got more serious, he moved in with me. While he wasn't financially dependent on me, it didn't occur to me to add his name to any bills or statements at the start of our relationship and when he moved in because these expenses were mine to begin with before we even met. I wasn't thinking we'd apply for PR via sponsorship so it was never top of mind for us.

Expenses are split but everything still remains in my name and he'll just E-transfer me money - it's much easier and convenient for us but I understand it doesn't help our case. IRCC doesn't want any documents that we've already sent and specifically are asking for things showing the dates before we sent our application which we don't have. I want to respond to the IRCC letter with the explanation as to why we don't have any joint account docs or lease agreements but feeling pretty dejected and helpless at this point. Anyone else been in this situation? Any insight would be helpful...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
One idea would be to provide the list of e-transfers with your letter of explanation. If they date back to a year, that might be enough to at least show them there are some split bills (especially if you can show both the e-transfer and the bill you paid each time).

But you might want to speak to a consultant or a lawyer with experience proving cohabitation for more ideas. Also, if he has mail - not just bills - from back when he first moved in with you, that would help.

Samlo

appreciate the response. I'll try the screenshots of the money transfers and see if it can connect some dots. We have sent in a copy of mail with the same address (bank statements) from when he first moved but still it's not enough.

Will be seeing a lawyer this weekend but not feeling super optimistic... thanks for the insight!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking if you could show your online bank statements, showing money coming from him and then going out for bills, that would be helpful. But you'd have to really spell it out (circle/highlight).

Samlo

Will try this out as a last ditch effort thank you! Just frustrated that after jumping through many hurdles, this is the one thing that will get the door slammed in our face. thanks again !