Looking for advise on Permanent Resident Travel Document

SUJIT

Hi , I got my PR in August 01, 2010 and it expired on 1st October 2015. I have spent for less than 2 months in Canada during this 5 year period and returned to India. Thus I was unable to complete the minimum period of 730 days in Canada in order to maintain my PR Status in Canada. I was last physically present in Canada in July 28, 2012.

The reason I was unable to stay was that I had an ailing parent (+80 years age) and I was unable to leave him alone in India. He passed away in 2016 at the age of 88.

I want to travel to Canada for a few weeks in August 2019 to re-evaluate my option to move permanently to Canada in the near future. Is that possible? Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada?

If yes, then how long will will it take to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document from India and where do I apply?

If no then what are my options other than renouncing my PR? Can I travel on a tourist visa?

Would appreciate a early response

Regards
Sujit

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I'm sorry for your loss.

In the current situation if you apply for a PRTD you will likely have your status revoked. You have two options:
  1. Fly to the United States and drive to Canada with your landing document (Record of Landing or COPR). At the border you will either be admitted or have your status revoked.
  2. Renounce your status officially and attempt to immigrate again.
I hope this is helpful.

SUJIT

One further clarification please -

In case I opt for option 1 above - I would not need to apply for a PRTD or a tourist visa here in India prior to leaving the country - correct?

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Neither. You would need a visitor visa to the US. You are not currently eligible for a visitor visa because you are still technically a permanent resident to the best of my knowledge.

A PRTD (and a PR Card) is for travel by "commercial carrier," i.e. plane, bus, train, ferry/cruiseship, etc. If you are driving into Canada you do not technically need one, just your Record of Landing/COPR.

SUJIT

Neither. You would need a visitor visa to the US. You are not currently eligible for a visitor visa because you are still technically a permanent resident to the best of my knowledge.

A PRTD (and a PR Card) is for travel by "commercial carrier," i.e. plane, bus, train, ferry/cruiseship, etc. If you are driving into Canada you do not technically need one, just your Record of Landing/COPR.
Thank you.

visaconsultants

Hi , I got my PR in August 01, 2010 and it expired on 1st October 2015. I have spent for less than 2 months in Canada during this 5 year period and returned to India. Thus I was unable to complete the minimum period of 730 days in Canada in order to maintain my PR Status in Canada. I was last physically present in Canada in July 28, 2012.

The reason I was unable to stay was that I had an ailing parent (+80 years age) and I was unable to leave him alone in India. He passed away in 2016 at the age of 88.

I want to travel to Canada for a few weeks in August 2019 to re-evaluate my option to move permanently to Canada in the near future. Is that possible? Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada?

If yes, then how long will will it take to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document from India and where do I apply?

If no then what are my options other than renouncing my PR? Can I travel on a tourist visa?

Would appreciate a early response

Regards
Sujit
Hi,
You can consult with me at my phone number :
[Redacted]

Last edited by a moderator: