Need advice about returning to Canada with an expired PR card

Sue

My relative got PR in 2010, stayed in Canada for a year, had to go back to the home country to help her mother (poor health) to care for grandpa (,hospitalized for 5 years and died),so she did not meet the residence obligation. Now she would like to come back live in Canada. My questions:
1. If she comes back via US by car with PR landing documents, could she be refused entry at Canadian borders?
2. If her PR status is revoked at the Canadian borders, would she still be let in Canada and given a chance to appeal inside Canada on H&C grounds?
3. Taking care a dying grandparent could it be considered a valid reason on H&C ground?
Thanks very much for advices!

The answers to your questions are
1. If you hold a passport, you can travel to Canada via US by car/road using COPR document,
2. Yes,she will be allowed to enter Canada but only if have a valid PR card (here expired) also need to carry PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document)
3. I don't think this is a valid reason on H&C ground,but you can still give it a try.

Reactions: Sue

Sue

Thank you very much for your answers, much appreciated.
I am not sure to understand your answer to my second question. My relative doesn't have a valid PR card, she didn’t meet the residence requirements. In this case,1. would she be still able to apply for a PRTD abroad before trying coming back to Canada via US by car? 2. Since her PR dard is expired, so she won’t be let into Canada at the US-Canada border?
Thanks!

Sue

Yes. She became PR in 2010. Her PR card expired in 2015. She is in her home country now.

Ok. Now she can still travel to Canada even if PR card expired.

If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. For applying PRTD you need the PR number even if it is expired (I hope you get what I tried to say at first)
If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If your relative applies for a PRTD and does not meet the residence requirement it is very likely her status will be revoked.