Need help to come back to Canada

box728

My mom didn't stay enough time in Canada and her pr card expired last year. She had to take care of her mom in law in China. Now, she would like to come back in December 2019 to full fill her pr status if she gets back into Canada. Is there way to come back? Thanks.

All the best.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes.

If she can get a visa to the United States she can fly to an airport near Canada. If you are in Canada you can drive down there to pick her up. She'll need her COPR or Record of Landing to try to enter.

Note: there is a risk she could lose her status when attempting to enter Canada.

Reactions: Sue

Sue

My relative is a similar situation as OP’s mother. My relative got PR in 2010, stayed in Canada for a year, had to go back to the home country to help her mother (poor health) to care for grandpa ( very sick,hospitalized for 5 years and died),so she did not meet the residence obligation. Now she would like to come back live in Canada. If she comes back via US by car with PR landing documents and an expired PR card, could she be refused entry at Canadian borders? Or even her PR status is revoked at the Canadian borders, she would still be let in Canada and given a chance to appeal inside Canada on H&C grounds? Thanks for advices!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, she could be refused entry and have her PR status revoked. Unfortunately I cannot give any odds of that happening. My understanding is that it is up to the person reviewing her case. So it's a bit of a crapshoot. But the alternative is to renounce PR and apply again.

Sue

Thank you , Riley, for your reply.
My understanding is that if she got refused entry to Canada and has her PR status revoked at a US- Canada border (when coming by private car), she could appeal, right? If so, would she be allowed to appeal inside Canada or outside Canada?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If it's revoked when she's outside of Canada, I do not believe she can appeal. However, an alternative possibility is they let her in and investigate her status and in that case she could appeal.