Need Information Regarding the Express Entry Program

arian.ez

Hi everyone. I'm 25 years old from iran. I'm very confused cause i've heard many different and contradicting information from immigration agencies and law firms where i live so i decided to ask my questions here. Also i'm new so sorry if i posted in an unrelated thread:

1-does your work experience have to be after you graduating? Or will my work experience during my studies to get my bachelor's degree also count?

2-if i wanna study for a master's degree, should my master's be a continuation of my bachelor's or related to my bachelor's degree or can i study in a different field and it would still count? Like having a bachelor's in architecture and a master's in english literature?

3-have there been any discussions about when the express entry program will end? I've heard from some sources in here that it might get closed in the next 2 years. Is that true?

4-where can i find any information on whether my bachelor's degree from my university counts as an equivalent of a bachelor's degree from a canadian university?

5-are express entry and skilled worker the same?

And i think that's it for now. I'll really appreciate it if i hear anything back. I'm really confused and i've lost my trust a bit in the sources in my country. They've told me stuff that i've read the exact opposite in camadian sources.

Take care everyone

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. Yes, it needs to be after you graduate. There could be some exceptions but, generally, it has to be after you graduate.
  2. You can study in a different field. The key thing is that the work experience is somehow related to your top degree.
  3. Please post those sources. I have not heard a thing about this. I think it's generally been regarded as a big success compared to the previous system.
  4. You have to get your degree "equivalated" by the appropriate agency: https://www.immigroup.com/news/educational-credential-assessment-eca-express-entry
  5. Sort of. "Federal Skilled Worker" is a category for evaluating skilled workers coming to Canada. Express Entry is the means through which FSW candidates are selected, as well as others. The provinces all have different skilled worker programs too, most of which are now run through Express Entry as well. (There may be a couple that haven't yet been integrated but I don't know this off the top of my head.)
Hope this helps.

arian.ez

Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. Yes, it needs to be after you graduate. There could be some exceptions but, generally, it has to be after you graduate.
  2. You can study in a different field. The key thing is that the work experience is somehow related to your top degree.
  3. Please post those sources. I have not heard a thing about this. I think it's generally been regarded as a big success compared to the previous system.
  4. You have to get your degree "equivalated" by the appropriate agency: https://www.immigroup.com/news/educational-credential-assessment-eca-express-entry
  5. Sort of. "Federal Skilled Worker" is a category for evaluating skilled workers coming to Canada. Express Entry is the means through which FSW candidates are selected, as well as others. The provinces all have different skilled worker programs too, most of which are now run through Express Entry as well. (There may be a couple that haven't yet been integrated but I don't know this off the top of my head.)
Hope this helps.
thanks for taking the time and writing back Riley! I really appreciate it.
some things that I might need a bit more clarification:
1-i live outside of Canada. and my degree and work experience have been acquired while living here. this is what I've found on the www.cic.gc.ca website :
The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.
I've also heard this exact same in another forum.
BUT every law firm or immigration agency I've talked to in here have said that work experience needs to be after graduation. so now I'm terribly confused.

2-do you mean, if I obtain a master's degree, my work experience which is related to the field of study of my bachelor's degree doesn't count? that

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I can't find the text your referencing. Can you link to the actual page? Full time skilled work counts. Usually, when you are studying full time, you are not working full time, right? This where I'm confused.

Skilled work experience counts. There is a preference in the evaluation for your application for work related to your degree(s). So, if you have degrees in architecture but have only ever worked as an English teacher, I believe there is some skepticism there in the evaluation of the degrees/work experience (not by the points system but in the actual evaluation of the proofs you are submitting when you submit your PR application). Make sense?

arian.ez

Sorry I can't find the text your referencing. Can you link to the actual page? Full time skilled work counts. Usually, when you are studying full time, you are not working full time, right? This where I'm confused.

Skilled work experience counts. There is a preference in the evaluation for your application for work related to your degree(s). So, if you have degrees in architecture but have only ever worked as an English teacher, I believe there is some skepticism there in the evaluation of the degrees/work experience (not by the points system but in the actual evaluation of the proofs you are submitting when you submit your PR application). Make sense?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

here is the actual page

arian.ez

about your first point, well not necessarily. I've passed all my classes except for my thesis. and for our thesis, you don't need to attend a class or go to university. you can work remotely with your teacher, send them your papers and your designs through mail and they'll make corrections that needs to be made and send them back to you. so I was able to work full time while working on my thesis project for the past 3 years