New time lines and an interview

I met my husband Oct 2013, we married April 2015, and where submitted July 2015. Our file has been in Havana 5 months as of March 2nd.
When I submitted our application in July, the waiting period for Havana was 10 months. I can no longer find the individual time line of each visa office such as Havana. CIC is showing a general time line of 17 months, including the 60 days sponsor approval.
Today, I was informed that our file is currently waiting for an interview date and time to be scheduled. My questions are as follows.

1) What is with the time line change, and what does this now mean for our file that was already in Havana before the change?
2) Can they hold our file until the last possible minute to schedule an interview knowing that in February they require an interview?

I thank you in advance for your prompt response.

rsimmigration said:
You could apply for a visa while you wait.
The problem with that is he has no children, no car, only a little money in the bank, but he does own his home.... however in Canada's eyed that's not enough for him to go back. I know of many women who tried to get their husbands a visitors visa while waiting for the pr..... all were denied. Seems like a waste of money, especially when the money can go towards me going to see my husband.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Let me try to answer your questions:
1) What is with the time line change, and what does this now mean for our file that was already in Havana before the change?
The timeline change is at least partially related to the federal election in the fall. Since the Liberals took power, they have made a number of changes, one of which you noticed: waiting times for the individual visa offices around the world are no longer available. Unfortunately that makes things a little like a black box now. There's not much you can do beyond checking your status, as you have been doing.

2) Can they hold our file until the last possible minute to schedule an interview knowing that in February they require an interview?
I'm not sure I understand this one. What do you mean? The interview may be part of the process, based on what they think about your application.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As for this:
The problem with that is he has no children, no car, only a little money in the bank, but he does own his home.... however in Canada's eyed that's not enough for him to go back. I know of many women who tried to get their husbands a visitors visa while waiting for the pr..... all were denied. Seems like a waste of money, especially when the money can go towards me going to see my husband.
Has he actually applied and received the rejection?

Riley Haas said:
Hi there,
Let me try to answer your questions:
The timeline change is at least partially related to the federal election in the fall. Since the Liberals took power, they have made a number of changes, one of which you noticed: waiting times for the individual visa offices around the world are no longer available. Unfortunately that makes things a little like a black box now. There's not much you can do beyond checking your status, as you have been doing.

I'm not sure I understand this one. What do you mean? The interview may be part of the process, based on what they think about your application.
Thank you Riley Haas, we inquired to find out what date his police check is expiring as we knew it was coming up soon. Havana replied that our file was currently waiting to be scheduled for an interview. I know a woman who knew in June of 2015 that their file was waiting to be scheduled for an interview. She had submitted in February of 2015. Her husband finally got an interview date in December for January 25 2016. Exactly 11 days from her file being in Havana for 1 year. I understand that an interview if requested is part of the process, however, I do not understand how one can not look at a calander and see the next available date and time and schedule an interview. Can you ask why they have requested an interview?

Riley Haas said:
As for this:
Has he actually applied and received the rejection?
No we have not. I am in a support group for people married to cubans. 97% who have applied for the visitors visa have been denied... it didn't seem to matter if you were married or not.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
Interviews can be requested at random or if they feel that there is a more information they need. For example, if the relationship isn't very old, they may request an interview. But they could have any number of reasons.

Sorry this is such a frustrating process for you.