Open Work Permit

ncookie86

My wife from the US is living here with a temporary visitor status. We are going through the lengthily process of sponsorship. I have read and researched that she can apply for an open work permit while we wait for the sponsorship to go through. While completing this application it asks for LMIA from the employer looking to hire. Is this necessary for her to provide? We have a job lined up for her, but they will not hire until she has the work permit obviously. Can we still apply for the permit without the Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Is she already being sponsored or about to be? If the sponsorship application is already in process or you will be submitting the sponsorship application at the same time as the work permit application, then the work permit application does not need an LMIA.

ncookie86

We are waiting now to hear back about our application. We sent in our Spousal Sponsorship along with the Open Work Permit (pilot program) application. We sent it Sept 21. I can't check any processing times as I have not received any information back with document numbers to refer to. What happens after they receive the application? Do we just wait for a letter saying they have it?

ncookie86

I have tried entering my receipt number for my sponsorship and the open work permit. It still says there is no record...It does say that doesn't mean they haven't received it, just that they haven't started processing it...it is so frustrating...since my wife can't work, we are struggling financially. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It is likely that it is not in the system yet because the application hasn't been opened yet.
We are hearing about bad delays with PR Card applications. We do not know if this is an issue specific to certain CIC offices, or if this is more widespread.
All I can suggest is to call CIC at 1-888-242-2100 and listen to see if they tell you what day receipt day they are processing for inland sponsorship applications. If that date is after September 21, stay on the line and speak to a call centre representative and see if you can get some information.

Aamir

Hey have questions

Me and my wife come canada on visitor visa and my wife want to do study here so we decided that we apply for study and got admission in qeubec college we have usa multiple visit visa also so we applied from newyork for study visa and got it approved but now we have go to border for flagpole re-entry and i have question can its good im also going with my wife to flagpole and apply for open work Permit at border im on visiting visa right now or just sand wife to border and finish all process and after that i go back home and apply for open work permit

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
When is getting her study permit you are applying for the open work permit to accompany her. I have never flagpoled myself, so I don't know if they will make you wait until after they have approved her, or they will do both at the same time.

Aamir

When is getting her study permit you are applying for the open work permit to accompany her. I have never flagpoled myself, so I don't know if they will make you wait until after they have approved her, or they will do both at the same time.
Thanks again my wife study permit is already approved and got letters and stump on his passport but we have to go for status change because we enter as a visitor when we are coming back from New York we are from india but go New York for study permit application of my wife my question is when we are going for his status change can it good to apply at the same time for open work permit spousal or go at back home and apply there i dont want to take chance i have multiple visit visa if they refuse entry me on border my records will be not good