Out of Date Residence

VickyGB

Hi. I left Canada in 2010 and my residency ran out in 2013. Does anyone know if I would be able to renew my residency and return to Canada from the UK or whether I need to start from scratch again? If I can renew, do you know how I would go about this? I have read on the forum that there is an appeals process if it's denied, but I'm at a loss of where to start. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Unless you've renounced your residency or you had your status officially revoked, you are still a permanent resident, as this status cannot just expire on its own. However, you have obviously not complied with the residency requirement. So, you have a couple of choices if you want to come to Canada:
  • Renounce your status: https://www.immigroup.com/news/pros-and-cons-renouncing-your-permanent-residency and then apply to immigrate again
  • Apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), which will mostly likely cause your status to be revoked, then apply to immigrate again
  • Travel to the US with your Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence and attempt to enter Canada by car (not bus or train) - they will either let you in or they will revoke your status.
Hope this helps.