Outland spousal sponsorship...please help!

Kate CP

Hi again all,

Things are progressing (slowly) with our application, but I've got a few more questions.

I am a Canadian citizen, hoping to sponsor my British husband. We're both living and working in London. We have one daughter, born in UK, and another baby on the way end of April/early May. Both children will have Canadian Citizenship through me, but we're not going to apply for Citizenship Certificates for either of them until Baby 2 is born in the spring.

We haven't included our daughter on any of the forms apart from in:

1. The Sponsorship Evaluation (IMM5481E), under ?Number of/details of family members and persons included in undertakings in effect or not yet in effect?, Question 6B ? ?Every other family member financially dependent on you, whether they are living with you or not?.

2. The Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM5540E), Question 12, ?Are you living with someone?.

3. And Additional Family information (IMM5406E), under Section B, Children.

Have we incorrectly listed our daughter in any of those forms? As far as I can tell, we have left her off anything that relates specifically to being a Sponsored Applicant, but I want to be sure we?ve not forgotten to include her where she should be or added her in where she doesn?t need to be. Advice gratefully received.

Obviously, Baby 2 hasn?t been included anywhere at all (although in our proof of intent to return to Canada, he is mentioned frequently, just not included on any official forms) as he isn?t here yet. We don?t want to hold off until he?s born before submitting our application, and since he will be a Citizen too, we figured this would be okay. Is it?

In a similar vein:

In the Appendix A Document Checklist - Immigrant, point 7: Identity and Civil Status Docs, it asks for '...birth certificates...or other official document confirming relationship for you and each of your family members.' I'm assuming this means for any family members who are also being sponsored (ie dependents of the Sponsored Applicant who aren't Canadian citizens), and therefore we don't need to send our daughter's birth certificate. Is that correct, can anyone tell me?

Also under point 7, it says we should provide a 'Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate...for any family members who are Canadian citizens or PR of Canada.' Again, since I am the Sponsor, I assume I DON'T need to re-submit proof of my Canadian citizenship here (although I don't have a Certificate, only my birth cert/passport as proof). Is that right?

Since we don't yet have the Citizenship Certificates for our children, I'm going to write a statement explaining why (because we?re waiting for Baby 2's birth), and we will apply for them as soon as he is born. It is possible to fast track them, if necessary, but they can take months and months to come?we really don?t want to have to wait until both kids have certificates and THEN submit our sponsorship application. That would add so much time, but is that the only way we?ll get approved? Once we have complete documentation for our children?

Can anyone help? I?m so sorry for the lengthy post. But thank you SO much in advance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
We haven't included our daughter on any of the forms apart from in:

1. The Sponsorship Evaluation (IMM5481E), under ?Number of/details of family members and persons included in undertakings in effect or not yet in effect?, Question 6B ? ?Every other family member financially dependent on you, whether they are living with you or not?.

2. The Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM5540E), Question 12, ?Are you living with someone?.

3. And Additional Family information (IMM5406E), under Section B, Children.

Have we incorrectly listed our daughter in any of those forms? As far as I can tell, we have left her off anything that relates specifically to being a Sponsored Applicant, but I want to be sure we?ve not forgotten to include her where she should be or added her in where she doesn?t need to be. Advice gratefully received.
I'm sorry to say I can't answer this one. It's a question for a lawyer or a consultant (or someone who's been in your situation before and been approved). The thing to remember is, your children are citizens/soon to be citizens. The consequences of leaving them off the forms don't exist (for them anyway) as they would for any children who are not citizens. They cannot lose their citizenship from anything you do here. The reason to inform CIC of your children together is solely to add an additional reason for the approval of your husband's application.

Obviously, Baby 2 hasn?t been included anywhere at all (although in our proof of intent to return to Canada, he is mentioned frequently, just not included on any official forms) as he isn?t here yet. We don?t want to hold off until he?s born before submitting our application, and since he will be a Citizen too, we figured this would be okay. Is it?
Again, your child will be a citizen. These forms are all to sponsor your husband. The children you have together help his case for sponsorship. If you submit the application before the child arrives, this is actually beneficial to you. (CIC officers have a mandate to unite families. If you have a baby on the way, this only makes the case to keep your family together stronger.)

In the Appendix A Document Checklist - Immigrant, point 7: Identity and Civil Status Docs, it asks for '...birth certificates...or other official document confirming relationship for you and each of your family members.' I'm assuming this means for any family members who are also being sponsored (ie dependents of the Sponsored Applicant who aren't Canadian citizens), and therefore we don't need to send our daughter's birth certificate. Is that correct, can anyone tell me?
I believe you are correct but I am not 100% sure. This is, again, a question for a consultant or lawyer.

Also under point 7, it says we should provide a 'Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate...for any family members who are Canadian citizens or PR of Canada.' Again, since I am the Sponsor, I assume I DON'T need to re-submit proof of my Canadian citizenship here (although I don't have a Certificate, only my birth cert/passport as proof). Is that right?
I believe you are correct in assuming you do not need to resubmit your own proof of citizenship. But this is (probably) the place to submit your child's proof of citizenship. (As to the second child, as you have stated, he cannot have a citizenship certificate yet.)

Since we don't yet have the Citizenship Certificates for our children, I'm going to write a statement explaining why (because we?re waiting for Baby 2's birth), and we will apply for them as soon as he is born. It is possible to fast track them, if necessary, but they can take months and months to come?we really don?t want to have to wait until both kids have certificates and THEN submit our sponsorship application. That would add so much time, but is that the only way we?ll get approved? Once we have complete documentation for our children?
I don't know if you want to do this. You might be better off getting your child's certificate now and the reason is that CIC needs to know your child is a citizen. The officer handling your sponsorship application has only one way of confirming, and that's with the citizenship certificate. (That being said, if you get the certificates submitted before the officer gets to the sponsorship application, you should be okay.)
You can try to get these expedited, but we're not sure they'll get expedited for the reason you submit. (You never know - depends on the officer).
I would strongly recommend waiting until the birth of your second child to submit the sponsorship application. Prepare everything then submit the citizenship certificate applications. Then take the citizenship certificate payment receipts and put them in the sponsorship application. Does that make sense?