Outland vs Inland questions

patrick1991

Hi,
My wife wants to sponsor me but we are having some difficulties in choosing which route to take as I want to take the fastest route that allows me to work legally in canada.

My questions with regards to the In land sponsorship are:
1) can I apply for a work permit while I am waiting for the application to be processed?
2) how long is the usual waiting time for you to receive a work permit or to approve the application?

Outland sponsorship questions:
1) If we decide to go with outland, do I apply for the work permit after its approved?
2) how long does it take to approve the application so I can come Live in Canada?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Patrick,
Let me try to answer your questions:

1) can I apply for a work permit while I am waiting for the application to be processed?
Yes, as of this moment, you can submit an application for an open work permit. This policy expires on December 22, however the last couple of years it has been renewed a few weeks ahead of its expiry.

2) how long is the usual waiting time for you to receive a work permit or to approve the application?
The processing time can be quite long, unfortunately. Initially it was a couple of months, but I believe it's close to a year now. This is not something that is available publicly.

1) If we decide to go with outland, do I apply for the work permit after its approved?
If you apply outland, you stay outside of Canada while the application is pending and you do not need a work permit nor are you eligible. Once you are approved and land in Canada, you are a permanent resident and do not need a work permit.

2) how long does it take to approve the application so I can come Live in Canada?
This depends upon your country of residence.

Hope this helps.

patrick1991

Thank You for that tremendous assistance.

I live in the Caribbean so I checked the immigration website and its estimated at 9 months processing time outland which is shorter than in land application.

My last question just for clarification and to reconfirm:

Once the outland sponsorship and and resident fees are paid and the application is submitted, our next step is to await approval from immigration. Given that the 9 months elapsed and we received approval, when I return to Canada, I will be a permanent resident thus I will not need a work permit and I will be legally able to work?

I just need to reassure this is what you said and a social security number will be assigned to me .

Thank you again for your help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Once the outland sponsorship and and resident fees are paid and the application is submitted, our next step is to await approval from immigration. Given that the 9 months elapsed and we received approval, when I return to Canada, I will be a permanent resident thus I will not need a work permit and I will be legally able to work?
Yes. You will receive your approval and you will have a given length of time to land in Canada. Upon landing, you will become a Permanent Resident. At that time, you will be entitled to all the rights of permanent residents, which includes the right to work.

I hope this clarifies things.