OWP Suggestion needed

kratos

Hi,
I am a permanent resident applying for a inland sponshorship for my spouse.
I am in need of some clarification and direction regarding applying for inland with or without an OWP.
a.) Spouse currently on a PGWP expiring 2021 August. ( I read that PGWP cannot be bridged if applying for PR under sponsorship)
b.) can I apply along with the OWP just to be on the safer side, he is working and I don't want any interruption in legal status to work because of this.
c.) I am aware that inland applications get processed in a year but this virus may delay the process just want to be on the safer side.

Really confused on this. Any direction is much appreciated

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you should apply for the open work permit as part of the inland sponsorship application.

I imagine the delays are going to be quite substantial as paper applications presumably are not be processed right now.

kratos

Thanks for the reply Riley, my only concern would be getting an open work permit approved before the existing one finishes. Would it not be a problem to hold two valid open work permits from different categories.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Good question. My understanding is that the new one would supersede the old one but I don't know for sure. You could try to call IRCC about it but I don't know if they are even answering phones right now.

Alternatively you could ask an immigration consultant (IRCC) or lawyer.