Passport Eligibility?

darshan.dinesh

My father was born in the UK in 1965 to Indian parents. He stayed there in the UK till he was 5 Years old. He returned back to India on his mother’s passport having never acquired a British passport.

He then married my mother in 1992 and I was later born in 1993. Me and and father currently hold Indian passports. I am currently in the UK on a tier 4 student visa valid till the the end of March 2021.

Am I eligible for a British passport?
can I apply for a passport without my father applying for one before myself?

My family has in their possession my fathers birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate and my birth certificate.

Would I need further documents to prove my claim?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It depends upon what your grandparents status was in the UK, as that determines whether or not your father is a citizen.

You can try to apply for your UK passport with your father's birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and your birth certificate listing your parents' names. One of two things will happen:
  1. You will receive your UK passport
  2. They will ask for more information about your father.
So go ahead and apply with what you have and see what happens. (Unless you have some reason to doubt your grandparents had the appropriate status in the UK in 1965.)

darshan.dinesh

What do you mean by my grandfathers status?
I thought birth in the UK before 1983 automatically guarantees you citizenship?
And what would be the further information they require regarding my father?

darshan.dinesh

My grandfather came to UK to do his postgraduate studies and then worked in the UK as a doctor. Other than that I don’t have much information

darshan.dinesh

I was wondering if I would require any documents relating to my grandfather when I am applying?

I don’t think he has his passport with which he came to the UK.

If there is a requirement for such, what other alternative document would be eligible regarding my grandfather if there is no passport?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So apply for the passport using your birth certificate with your parents' names, your father's birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate. As I said before, one of two things will happen. If you're approved then there's no problem, right?

I don't know off the top of my head what they might want from your grandfather. Your application meets the public criteria for applying for a passport - i.e. you're a citizen - as far as I can tell. There shouldn't be a problem. But I know from our staff that sometimes they ask for more information. You have to apply to find out.