Police clearance: assistance needed

ZoeBeann

Hello,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist me. My husband (A South African National) was assigned for a 12 month period in Ireland to oversee a project worked in Thurles back in 2010 and 2011, during this time he had bought a car and was not aware that third-party liability that was required as it is not a compulsory requirement in South Africa. After purchasing a car and obtaining an Irish converted drivers license he was pulled over and the car impounded for not having car insurance. He paid the 250euro fee and claimed the car back and did not drive again until his assignment was over. During a recent application for immigration to Canada, a police clearance certificate was obtained stating there was a fine to be paid and that it was only issued after he had already returned to South Africa.

As Canada is asking for more info on this, and because this happened over nine years ago I want to find out what’s the best way to info info/clarity on this situation.

Thanks in advance

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
My best guess would be he should contact the office/precinct responsible for the original fine to see if it's the same office responsible for this supposed additional fine. Maybe it's an honest mistake and they can produce documentation showing he paid his fine.