PR Card renewal application- No updates

pvu1234

Hi,
Became permanent resident on 26th Dec'15. My card is expiring on 12th Feb'21. I have mailed my application on 20th Nov'20. Till now I have not received any confirmation from Immigration and I have sent a couple of web enquiries and no response yet. I have tried to retrieve my application based on UCI number, still no success.
I am worried where my paper application is lying.
I have stayed in Canada during this period more than 4 years and my citizenship test and the ceremony was due in March'20 and put on hold due to COVID.

Now the questions:

1. How do I know the status of my application?
2. What will happen to OHIP (I live in Ontario) card? Do I have to pay for the medical services?
3. Currently I am jobless, will I be employed?

Any inputs on the above are invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Given the pandemic situation, paper applications are way delayed.
  1. Until your application is inputted into the digital system, you will have no idea.
  2. Your OHIP card expires when it expires. Moreover, the Ontario government has extended OHIP coverage for expired cards during the pandemic. My card has been expired since September but it is still usable because of this provision.
  3. I can't answer this question without more details about what you're asking.
They are doing online citizenship tests now so it's likely that you will get invited for one of those and get citizenship before your PR Card is renewed.

pvu1234

Thank you Riley for the response. To elaborate on the 3rd question, will my prospects of getting hired impact once my PR card gets expired.

Regards,

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's a problem if you cannot prove your status. Many employers will not accept a COPR/Record of Landing as proof of status simply because they don't know what it is.

If it comes to this, you need a letter from the employer saying they cannot employ you without proof of PR status or citizenship. And you can forward that letter to IRCC for either your PR Card renewal application or your citizenship application and claim you need the proof urgently so you can get a job.

pvu1234

I spoke to the customer care representative. He assured me, a record of landing, current PR card are testimony of my status in Canada.