PR questions

cagan1984

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife obtained our PR Cards through driving the US and Canadian Border. We stayed 2 weeks in Canada and we had to return back to United States where we are still working. In the meantime our initial thought process we would look for jobs and once we finally find something we like we would move there.

However things did not go as planned. We have not been considered by any company even though we have good experience. If things go like this I am afraid that we are not going to be fulfilling the residency requirement. With my calculation since we landed in June 2018 and our PR cards expire in August 2023; our cutoff to enter Canada is June 2021. Also with Covid I am not sure how we would be able to find something that works for us. Also one other thing is I am working with a Visa in the US and do not have Green Card. It seems that my company will not file an application for a Green Card. Therefore Canada PR is really important to me and I do not want to lose my rights or be in a situation where I can not full fill the obligation.

Obviously I do not want to quit my company as I had worked their for more than 11 years and I like it. Therefore my question is what would be the other paths we could take to fulfill this obligation.

I read that if you work for a Canadian Company this would be count towards these days. So for example if I ask my current US employer to move my payroll to their Canadian Branch and still be in the US would that work? Also would there be any other ways we can overcome this challenge?

Thanks
Cagan

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I responded to your other post.

If your American company has an office in Canada you can ask for a transfer.

During this weird time, maybe you can convince them to work remotely from Canada.

Otherwise you need to come back before next summer if you want to maintain your status, with or without a job.