PR residency determination (Residence Questionairie)

kitchen2411

if one is received a permanent residence determination investigation as a result of his/er PR card application:

1. can he/she travel to the US and come back with his/her private car and expired PR card after the investigation letter was sent?

2. does the PR determination investigation investigates compliance for 5 years immediately before the date he/she applied for PR renewal? or 5 years immediately before the date of replying to the investigation letter?

3. if he/she was not compliant when the PR application was sent but compliant when the investigation letter was received, is there a problem?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
By "investigation" do you mean secondary review? Or do you mean a residence questionnaire.

Assuming you mean secondary review, I will try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]You cannot normally travel with an expired PR Card. However, if you are entering with a car, you should be allowed in with your record of landing. You can expect a lecture, though.
[*]It's compliance with the residence requirement up to when you submitted your application, to the best of my knowledge.
[*]You might be okay. But you will have to prove you are, which may involved completing the Residence Questionnaire (if that isn't what you are calling the "investigation." But traveling to the United States won't exactly help with that.
[/list]
Hope this helps.

CAM75

Im wondering something about helping sponsor a European relative. I have heard of people being granted a pr card that have never even travelled to Canada before.
Im wondering how this was so quickly done because I have also known some that landed in Canada and required to be in Canada for years before applying.
What is the difference and what is the method to the quick without even travelling here before showing up with a confirmation of pr letter???

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
How are you related to your relative? You can sponsor a spouse/partner, a dependent child or your parents or grandparents (there's a quota on those sponsorships). In a few provinces, you can sponsor someone if you own your own business. Otherwise, you cannot sponsor any other family members.

If you are a "skilled" worker, you may be able to immigrate to Canada without living here first. Otherwise, you need to work (or study then work) her for a while, in a skilled or "semi skilled" job before getting PR.

Hope this helps.