PR status and OHIP or Private Insurance

seekingadvice

Hello, recently my relatives recently re-entered Canada from a US land border by car with their Record of Landing documents after being away for a long time (before PR cards existed). Their lawyer advised them to not do anything for two years until they meet their residency requirement. The problem is he advised to stay away from any government institutions (OHIP, Service Ontario for ID etc.) until they apply for PR Card renewal. Can someone advise on how to get private insurance for them? I have done some research and only private insurance that is available is travelers insurance and that is not for PRs. They need coverage because their health is not the best.

Would applying for OHIP or an Ontario ID card raise a red flag, does the Ontario Gov exchange information with CIC? What could happen if they do share this information?

PS: they one of them has an expired Health Card from when they initially entered Canada, the other does not.

Thanks you in advance for the help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
There are many private health care providers in Canada which usually offer supplemental coverage to the provincial coverage. I can't recommend one because I have never used one, but there are ads on TV for them all the time and I think most of the major life insurance companies offer it. Google "private health insurance ontario" to see what's available.

Getting health cards shouldn't actually affect their status. The Ontario Government is not allowed to share their information with IRCC (formerly CIC) without your parents' permission. However, Service Ontario may want PR Cards for proof of status, as not all employees know that Records of Landing are supposed to be acceptable.