PR Status

Toor2k

HI ! My wife's and Son's (Age 17yrs) PR status expired in 2011, but due to my traveling to Canada I could manage to extend my PR till 2021. Now i want my Son to come to Canada for higher Studies as a PR, ( As his PR card has expired but i guess his status is still as a PR) Now do i need to apply...?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Under normal circumstances, the answer to your question would be that your son has three options:
  • Renounce his PR and apply to come as a student,
  • Apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) and likely have his PR revoked and then apply to come as a student, OR
  • fly to the US as a visitor to an airport near your Canadian location (provided you are in Canada), you pick him up, and he tries to enter Canada with his Record of Landing and either is admitted or has his PR revoked.
But these are not normal circumstances. I'm not sure how viable the third option is right now.

Toor2k

Thank You Riley for the reply, I Have another question! Will it be helpful if My wife and Son apply for the PRTD together and quote humanitarian ground for extension? (As my Dad was diagnosed with Cancer in 2011 and I am the only son, so I had to leave my wife in India and and my Son being just 8 yrs then had to stay with my wife for his Schooling. I will be providing all proof of illness, diagnosis and treatment plan with the PRTD application. Will this help?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to say that's a question for a consultant or a lawyer. My guess would be that there's likely no way an adult who has been outside the country for at least 9 years would get an H&C exemption but I don't actually know, it's just a guess.

Toor2k

Thank You very much Riley! So I guess my best option to call my wife and son to Canada is to Sponsor them in the family category. And as I understand its to apply for PRTD which will be refused and then automatically their PR status is denounced. A fresh sponsorship application from my side can be put in Canada to call them.