pregnant sponsored wife and application process

da_reason

Hello

I submitted my application form to sponsor my wife last december. But we found out she was positive that she is pregnant too at the same month. But i submitted all the forms already. Is there any next steps or notifiy cic about it? Or wait until she is approved?

Many thanks

Darwin

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to contact CIC with your UCI and application number. Depending on the application type (inland versus overseas) you may have to contact the visa office itself, rather than the CIC processing centre.
What I would do is call CIC at 1-888-242‑2100 and ask them. They will be able to tell you whether or not it's the visa office you should contact. (It probably is the visa office, but just check to make sure.)

da_reason

I did contact them they told me that I have to tell them once they have my file on the process and approved as a sponser I can tell cic about my wife is being pregnant. So worse case scenario if the baby is born in cuba...what are the steps to get your child here with my wife getting the visa in cuba to come to canada.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Oh okay. So basically once you get the notice you are approved to sponsor, you can let them know?

If you are a Canadian citizen, your child will be a Canadian citizen and not your wife's dependent. However, if you are a permanent resident, the child will not be a Canadian citizen (if born in Cuba) and will be a dependent and included in the sponsorship.

da_reason

Yes according to them there's nothing I can do after I submitted my sponsorship form to my wife before I found out she was pregnant. I have to wait if the bay wil be born here or on cuba. Yes I am canadian naturalized citizen. CiC gave me the site for the application form for the canadian cittizen certification form. But do I submitted here or at the canadian embassy in cuba?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Your child is then a Canadian citizen as well. What form do you need? Is this the form to notify the embassy that your child is born? Or some other form?

da_reason

they refer me to this form called " CIT 0001". my question is can I apply for my child's passport together as well or I need to do it one out of time?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes, for a citizenship certificate. Once your kid has that it will be a lot easier to prove your child is Canadian. Because if you do not have the certificate for the passport application, you will have to provide a long form birth certificate (and translation) showing that you are the father, and your proof of citizenship. It's easier to get your kid's citizenship certificate first.

da_reason

but still I need an English translation from my child's birth certificate if my child is born in cuba right?. and should I wait for my wife's approval for visa to apply for my child's Canadian certificate or do it after when the baby is born?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you will need to get the birth certificate translated. You will need to apply for the citizenship certificate once the baby is born. They won't issue it before the baby exists.

da_reason

Is that going to be a problem if the baby will obtain citizen certificate once after birth, because if the baby is born in cuba, that consider the baby as a " cuban" but if the baby will obtain the canadian certficate, that will consider the baby " canadian". but are they going to allow the baby to have the same benefits ( like free heath care) , as cuban citizen after obtaining the certificate?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anything about Cuban citizenship, but your child is Canadian regardless of where he or she is born. (Provided you yourself were either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada. If you got your Canadian citizenship through a parent and you were born outside of Canada yourself, then, regrettably, your child is not Canadian under the new laws. I have assumed you do not fall into this category in my responses because it's usually a rare case.) I am not sure whether or not Cuba allows dual citizenship off the top of my head, but you probably needn't worry about your child's Canadian citizenship. You just need to be on the birth certificate as the father.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked. It seems as though Cuba doesn't recognize dual citizenship but allows it. Your child, if born in Cuba, will just have to enter Cuba with their Cuban passport in the future (though leaving with their Canadian sounds like a better idea...). If not born in Cuba - well, I still don't know the answer to that one.

da_reason

I was not born in Canada, but I was naturalized Canadian citizen here. So all I have to do is provide the birth certificate of my child to the immigration to get my child's citizen certificate?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to submit the application with the birth certificate as a supporting document. You will have to submit your own certificate as well. You can learn more here: http://www.immigroup.com/replacement-citizenship-certificate-card

da_reason

MY own certificate? as for what? my canadian certificate?

and also. If i am doing Maternity leave for my work, they told me insurance will pay for it is that mean EI will pay for my benefits?. and is EI part of government assistant, i am just wondering because they told me in the rules to become a sponsor is not having any help from the goverment...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Your child's birth certificate will have your name on it, your citizenship certificate will show that you are Canadian. Therefore your child is Canadian. I will get back to you about the Mat Leave.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As far as we know, Pat Leave should not disqualify you. But if you are going on after you begin the sponsorship process, there is nothing to worry about anyway.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you should be able to. If you go on them after you have applied, I cannot see how there would be a problem. But even if you go on beforehand - I mean, disability doesn't disqualify you. It's hard to see how Pat leave would.