Proof of genuine common law sponsorship

Youdontsay-

Hello!
Just wondering if anyone could advise on my situation.

A little background about me. I came to Canada in 2018 as a student and have completed my studies (1yr programme) as well as my PGWP. I do not need a Visa to come to Canada but an eTA. I understand that I do not qualify for Canadian experience class as I only have 10 months work experience full time in Canada. I also have about 1 and a half years work experience back home. I guessed this is why I also do not have enough points for FSW due to lower education? (Diploma back home and postgraduate certificate here)

I met my boyfriend in Canada about 1 and a half years ago too. He is Canadian. We have spoken about common law back then and decided we should move in together. We have been living together for 1yr now, however we do not have at least 20 photographs together nor do we post on our social media about our relationship. We also never taken photos together on events such as Valentine’s Day or Christmas with family and friends. We also do not have a joint bank account together from the beginning. I have read the documents required to apply however I just wasn’t sure if we would be considered genuine.

I have extended my visa to a tourist visa as my PGWP expired. Now, my tourist visa is expiring this Christmas and I am not sure if we are a little too late to apply for common law inland.

How am I able to prove our relationship is genuine and are we a little too late to apply for common law sponsorship inland? Should we apply Outland instead?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You need joint accounts (lease, bills, etc.), you need more photos, and you need a notarized statutory declaration of your common law status.

Outland would normally require that you are married. And you could just marry, as that would remove the need to prove common law status.

Youdontsay-

You need joint accounts (lease, bills, etc.), you need more photos, and you need a notarized statutory declaration of your common law status.

Outland would normally require that you are married. And you could just marry, as that would remove the need to prove common law status.
Thank you for replying Riley. Just one last question, would it be too late to open a bank account now?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you open a bank account together now and apply tomorrow, it won't look great. But it's better than not having one, as far as I know. The more joint accounts/bills you have, the more your relationship looks real.