"Proof of Relationship to Sponsor"

gavinbr

Hi Riley,

I just returned to Canada last month after many years in Brazil, with my wife of one year, meaning to apply for inland sponsorship as soon as possible. I waited for the new application forms to come online December 15. One of the new requirements, which I don't recall having seen in the old form, was a section called "Proof of Relationship to Sponsor". They ask if we live together, and if so, to provide documentation from 2 of the following 3 options:

? Joint ownership of residential property or a lease/joint rental agreement;
? Proof of joint utilities accounts;
? Important documents showing the same address, such as drivers license, insurance policies etc.

We are currently living rent-free with my mother while I search for a job, so no ownership or rental agreement; We don't have any utilities in our name; my wife, being a foreigner, doesn't have a local health plan or any other government document in Canada.

At the most, I can get my mother to write a letter attesting to our living with her and that our relationship is legitimate. Other than that, I can't meet these requirements. As for the rest of the application process, I don't see any real problems... We have our marriage certificate and other documents translated etc.

Do you think this requirement for documentary proof that we're living together in Canada is a deal-breaker? Should we wait until we have something on paper showing joint residence before applying? Problem is, I don't see this happening anytime soon, and for her to apply for any of these things (even a bank account), she has to demonstrate that she is a resident or under consideration. It's a catch 22.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
It's actually not a new requirement, just explicit now. Not submitting this kind of evidence in the past would have been a bad thing, but they didn't necessarily let you know exactly what to submit before.

We are currently living rent-free with my mother while I search for a job, so no ownership or rental agreement; We don't have any utilities in our name; my wife, being a foreigner, doesn't have a local health plan or any other government document in Canada.
In addition to the letter, you need to include other information. Are you living rent-free with your mother right now? What about before you came back to Canada? Anything you can produce to show you lived together there? Mail to either or both of you?

Do you think this requirement for documentary proof that we're living together in Canada is a deal-breaker? Should we wait until we have something on paper showing joint residence before applying? Problem is, I don't see this happening anytime soon, and for her to apply for any of these things (even a bank account), she has to demonstrate that she is a resident or under consideration. It's a catch 22.
Well, it would help but I don't know that it's a deal-breaker, especially if you can show you lived together prior to returning to Canada. This last month isn't that important if you've lived together much longer and can show it. Still get that letter from your mother though (and you need to prove she owns the house...).
You two should get a joint bank account as soon as possible in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Riley

gavinbr

Hi Riley,

Your reply has been helpful, as always. Almost ready to submit the application, but just one more question:

The Additional Family Information form, IMM5406: The instructions on it say that "The principal applicant, their spouse and all dependent children 18 years of age must complete their own form."

1) I would assume that my wife, as the applicant, fills in her copy, and that I as her Canadian sponsor do not? Or do I take the instructions literally and fill one in is as well as per the instructions, listing all my (already Canadian) family members?

2) My wife's only immediate Brazilian relative is her mother. In her copy of the form, I presume she'd still have to put me down me as spouse and my son as her step-son, although we're both Canadians?

Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
1) I would assume that my wife, as the applicant, fills in her copy, and that I as her Canadian sponsor do not? Or do I take the instructions literally and fill one in is as well as per the instructions, listing all my (already Canadian) family members?
Your wife is the principal application and she completes it. You do not need to complete that form.

2) My wife's only immediate Brazilian relative is her mother. In her copy of the form, I presume she'd still have to put me down me as spouse and my son as her step-son, although we're both Canadians?
Your wife does need to list you as her spouse, and your son as her step-son, yes.

I hope this helps.

gavinbr

Hi Reilly,

In the sponsor's form 5532, they ask "What is the highest level of education you have completed?"

There are 4 check boxes (Elementary, Secondary, College/Universit and Post-Graduate studies) and next to each option "Number of years completed". I selected Post-Graduate studies... in that case, would the number of years completed be the number of post-graduate years, or the number of years of education in total?

Thanks!