PRTD AND PR CARD RENEWAL

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi chella99,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I am not an expert but i think that statement "Your PR card has been approved" means they have accepted our circumstances for not complying residence obligation. In my case, I authorized my lawyer to communicate with IRCC through their email and mailing address by submitting use of representative form to IRCC, therefore, IRCC will not send my PR card to my lawyer address and they will book an appointment for me in to pick them in person. Due to COVID19 pandemic, IRCC local offices are working with limited capacity and our appointment for card picking may be in waiting que. Let's wait and see.

Please keep on posted progress in your case as i will also do periodically.

Regards,
Yes "Your PR card has been approved" does indeed mean there has been a decision. However, in non-pademic times, the invitation to pick up the PR Card is usually an attempt to confirm that the applicant is indeed in Canada (as you are supposed to be in Canada when you renew your PR Card).

chella99

Hi chella99,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I am not an expert but i think that statement "Your PR card has been approved" means they have accepted our circumstances for not complying residence obligation. In my case, I authorized my lawyer to communicate with IRCC through their email and mailing address by submitting use of representative form to IRCC, therefore, IRCC will not send my PR card to my lawyer address and they will book an appointment for me in to pick them in person. Due to COVID19 pandemic, IRCC local offices are working with limited capacity and our appointment for card picking may be in waiting que. Let's wait and see.

Please keep on posted progress in your case as i will also do periodically.

Regards,
Dear Moon,

I did not follow up this post for sometime and thanks for your response and the encouraging words. I do hope so, as you have expressed, in my case..

But considering that my application was lodged on May 1, 2019, don't you think, even factoring for the unique case and the Covid 19 situation, it has been exceptionally long for IRCC to respond to me ??

I am still awaiting to hear from IRCC on the next course of action and have not so far received any mail or email, after the aforesaid one and that too, was only in response to my webform enquiry and not the one on its own from IRCC. The response was dated Sep 2, 2020 and even if one considers from that date, the time taken is too much and hence, I am left wondering as to what to expect and when to expect from IRCC ! Hope for the best !!

Also, I would like to have views from all whether I can request IRCC to send the renewed card by post instead of calling for a pickup, considering the extremely tense Covid 19 situation.

Views from you and others will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Moon

Dear Moon,

I did not follow up this post for sometime and thanks for your response and the encouraging words. I do hope so, as you have expressed, in my case..

But considering that my application was lodged on May 1, 2019, don't you think, even factoring for the unique case and the Covid 19 situation, it has been exceptionally long for IRCC to respond to me ??

I am still awaiting to hear from IRCC on the next course of action and have not so far received any mail or email, after the aforesaid one and that too, was only in response to my webform enquiry and not the one on its own from IRCC. The response was dated Sep 2, 2020 and even if one considers from that date, the time taken is too much and hence, I am left wondering as to what to expect and when to expect from IRCC ! Hope for the best !!

Also, I would like to have views from all whether I can request IRCC to send the renewed card by post instead of calling for a pickup, considering the extremely tense Covid 19 situation.

Views from you and others will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dear Chella99,

Is there any progress in your case. I am still waiting for communication from CIC for card pick up.

Regards,

chella99

It has been exceptionally long. But I'm not sure what can be done about it. Have you called them?
Hi Riley,
Thanks.
U have given contact details for the group to be contacted for assistance. Is it a paid service and if so, what are the terms ?

Also, is there any way to call and speak to IRCC from abroad ?

thanks

chella99

Dear Chella99,

Is there any progress in your case. I am still waiting for communication from CIC for card pick up.

Regards,
Dear Moon,

Good to hear from U..

Absolutely no response and I am really exasperated since more than 2 years have passed. Even accounting for Covid blues, this is an exceptionally delayed decision.

In response to my webform enquiry, they have replied that the info given by me is not adequate. I was quite zapped as I had given everything. I feel sometimes, too much of the autopilot mode is dangerous and prevents the officials from seeing more closely the unique circumstances of each case.

Also, I wish to know whether I should apply independently for PRTD, even before receiving any intimation from IRCC. If I succeed in getting the PRTD, I can reach Canada and possibly meet IRCC officials. Do you think this is possible ?

I am requesting your self as well as all other members, what should I do now and how can I get the matter resolved with IRCC, one way or the other.

Can I know what is the update on your card ??

Thanks.

Chellamani

chella99

Dear Riley and others,

Absolutely no response from IRCC and I am really exasperated since more than 2 years have passed. Even accounting for Covid blues, this is an exceptionally delayed decision.

At my first web enquiry in Sep 2020, IRCC had sent a email which I had quoted verbatim earlier. In essence, it stated that your application has been approved and that we will communicate with you on documents to be brought in for a pickup. Since then, I have not received any mail or email from IRCC.

In response to my webform enquiry just a few days back, they have replied that the info given by me is not adequate. I was quite zapped as I had given everything. I feel sometimes, too much of the autopilot mode is dangerous and prevents the officials from seeing more closely the unique circumstances of each case.

Also, I wish to know whether I should apply independently for PRTD, even before receiving any intimation from IRCC. If I succeed in getting the PRTD, I can reach Canada and possibly meet IRCC officials. Do you think this is possible ? Can I authorize anyone else in writing to pick up the card, on my behalf ? In such a case, what will be the documentation, process, time frame, etc. etc. ?

I am requesting your self as well as all other members, as to what should I do now and how can I get the matter resolved with IRCC, one way or the other.

Thanks.

Chellamani

Moon

Dear Moon,

Good to hear from U..

Absolutely no response and I am really exasperated since more than 2 years have passed. Even accounting for Covid blues, this is an exceptionally delayed decision.

In response to my webform enquiry, they have replied that the info given by me is not adequate. I was quite zapped as I had given everything. I feel sometimes, too much of the autopilot mode is dangerous and prevents the officials from seeing more closely the unique circumstances of each case.

Also, I wish to know whether I should apply independently for PRTD, even before receiving any intimation from IRCC. If I succeed in getting the PRTD, I can reach Canada and possibly meet IRCC officials. Do you think this is possible ?

I am requesting your self as well as all other members, what should I do now and how can I get the matter resolved with IRCC, one way or the other.

Can I know what is the update on your card ??

Thanks.

Chellamani
Dear Chellamani,

Thank you for updating circumstances at your end. In my case, my lawyer has advised me to wait for IRCC official communication for card pick up. After having this on hand, chances of success for getting PRTD approval will be higher than without it.

Sure, I will keep you updated progress at my end.

Regards,

Moon

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Riley,
Thanks.
U have given contact details for the group to be contacted for assistance. Is it a paid service and if so, what are the terms ?

Also, is there any way to call and speak to IRCC from abroad ?

thanks
If you mean Immigroup yes, we charge money. But it depends upon the service. Are you just looking for assistance dealing with IRCC?

This https://www.immigroup.com/news/how-call-citizenship-and-immigration-canada-outside-canada hasn't been updated in a while so I don't know how current it is.

Generally, the government doesn't want you to call from overseas, and wants you to fill out the webform.

chella99

Dear All,

After great difficulty and trying a lot, I spoke a couple of days back with IRCC.

I was quite shocked by what they told me. IRCC rep told me that my file was shifted to Hamilton Office as early as March 2020. But due to pandemic and other reasons, he said that no one processed it further.

He said that now that things are better, IRCC may start processing and send me an email. He also said that my card has been earmarked for a physical pickup. Then I asked, whether due to pandemic, you can send the card to my residence by post. He said that the process cannot be changed. Since my case is somewhat different and difficult, it seems while they call me, they may ask a few tough questions.

I am not sure when IRCC will send the email that it has referred to. Since I am out of Canada, I need to apply for a PRTD, after receiving the referred email.

So the situation seems to be clear.

Would be thankful for any views, ideas and suggestions. Also, most importantly, what sort of ques may be asked when I physically present myself ?

Thanks in advance...

Chellamani

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So the first thing I should say is that you should really speak to an immigration consultant or lawyer on how to proceed next. I am just the forum admin and cannot give you legal advice. Everything I am about to say is just my best guess.

I was quite shocked by what they told me. IRCC rep told me that my file was shifted to Hamilton Office as early as March 2020. But due to pandemic and other reasons, he said that no one processed it further.
This has happened to basically everyone.

He said that now that things are better, IRCC may start processing and send me an email. He also said that my card has been earmarked for a physical pickup. Then I asked, whether due to pandemic, you can send the card to my residence by post. He said that the process cannot be changed. Since my case is somewhat different and difficult, it seems while they call me, they may ask a few tough questions.
They are asking you to pick it up because they think you might not be in Canada.

I am not sure when IRCC will send the email that it has referred to. Since I am out of Canada, I need to apply for a PRTD, after receiving the referred email.
So this is a tough situation, and I'm not sure what will happen if you apply for a PRTD. Here are my guesses:
  • If you apply for a PRTD before you are informed of the pickup notice, your PRTD application will likely be rejected and your status will probably be revoked, I cannot be sure of that of course, but you would be sending a pretty clear message to IRCC that you haven't met the residency requirement and continue to not meet it.
  • If you apply for a PRTD after you are told to pick up your card, I think there are a few possibilities:
    • Because your card was already approved, you get your PRTD (I doubt it but it's a possibility) OR
    • Your PRTD application is rejected and your status is revoked because they have figured out you are not in Canada and were not in Canada OR
    • Your PRTD application is granted so you can come back and get the card but they now know you were not here and they further investigate your status (including speaking to you when you are trying to get your card), and where that leads depends.
As I said way back at the beginning of this thread, you're not supposed to submit PR Card renewal applications when you are not in Canada.

chella99

Thanks a lot Riley for your valuable insights.

I have decided that I will apply for PRTD only after receiving the email. BTW, I forgot to mention that quite long back, in response to my webform query, IRCC had clearly stated that my case has been considered favorably. I had verbatim quoted that email earlier. Can there be still uncertainties ??

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly don't know. I have heard stories of people having their status investigated or even revoked while in possession of valid PR Cards. But I can't verify those stories.

If I were in your shoes I would speak to a lawyer or a consultant.

Moon

Dear Chella99,
If you apply for prtd after receiving formal communication from IRCC for PR pick up, then you will have to pick up your pr card within 6 months from the date of 1st communication otherwise they will trash them. Whereas approval of prtd application on H&C arguments are presently taking time between 8 to 12 months. So opting prtd option will time bar your pr puck up. You should consult some lawyer.

regards,
Mujmoon

Moon

put, I meant...
Dear Chella99,
If you apply for prtd after receiving formal communication from IRCC for PR pick up, then you will have to pick up your pr card within 6 months from the date of 1st communication otherwise they will trash them. Whereas approval of prtd application on H&C arguments are presently taking time between 8 to 12 months. So opting prtd option will time bar your pr puck up. You should consult some lawyer.

regards,
Mujmoon

chella99

Dear Chella99,

regards,
Mujmoon

Thanks Moon... Let me think over....

chella99

Absolutely nothing.
What is really upsetting are the developments and let me share:

After great difficulty, I spoke to IRCC . One gentleman answered well and said clearly that since over 1 year, my file is with the Hamilton Office and due to pandemic no one can done anything. I was really zapped. Even factoring for the pandemic, how can some file be held and not cleared (one way or the other) for over 1 year ?? I just fail to understand.

In an earlier email on Sept 2, 2020 (one year earlier !!) , they said that my card has been earmarked for a physical pickup and that I should wait for an email. That email has still not been received. Since I am out of Canada, should I apply for a PRTD or wait for the email ? I perceive some risk in applying for a PRTD card. So i am in an absolute dilemma as to what to do.

Some hints and advice from the members of this forum will be extremely helpful. Thanks.