should i the Canadian be inland or out land?

a.mcbride

Hello, I am having a very hard time making the decision of what is the best route to take as me and my Husband have just got married and have been in a relationship for a year now. I have been living in morocco for 2 years and we met and fell in love a year ago.. with us doing our marriage paper work now (engaged for 6 months).
I just don't know what to do as i do not want to leave him esp. in our first year of marriage but do not want to be denied as i really want to go back to Canada. so it seems like there are only 2 likely options
1) me go back to Canada and apply from there and he stays in Morocco ....which my understanding could be 1-2 years with me only being able to leave Canada for 2 weeks each trip?
2) me stay in morocco, work, and then attempt to find a place that will give me a job offer a year away or apply for a school option for the next year and apply from here?

3) seems far fetched... me go home, apply, then apply for him to get a visitor visa (which 1 was denied when we were dating last year) and then have him try to do the paper work to be able to stay in Canada while we are waiting or apply for a visitor visa now and then apply inland

i just feel so lost.... i just want to do the thing that will give us the best chance of going home but i also want to be with my husband and not be separated for long periods of time.
please give me some advice of what is the best route to take!!!!!!!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, let me try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]First off, the government has started posting individual processing times for outland again, and currently the processing time for Morocco is only 9 months (subject to change, obviously). See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/ Second, I have a question. You would only be able to travel to Morocco for 2 weeks a time because of work? Because of Moroccan visa restrictions?
[*]I'm not sure what the option is here but you shouldn't apply from Morocco yourself unless you can prove to the satisfaction of IRCC that you will be settling in Canada and that is quite hard. Is that what the job offer would be for? Anyway, we don't recommend it.
[*]Yes, visitor visa applications for foreign spouses are regularly denied while sponsorship applications are in process. I'm not sure how this is "inland" though. As you say you will come here, apply (for sponsorship, I assumed), then apply for his visitor visa, then apply for inland. That's not how it works. You'd have to get him his visitor visa, then he'd come here and then you'd apply inland.
[/list]

Honestly, I think option 1 is your best bet not knowing more about your situation.

a.mcbride

thank you for your reply, to answer
1) no i read some wheres that as the sponsor CIC does not like seeing you travel outside of Canada often because will can deny for not full time "living" in Canada for more than 2 weeks.. so what i understood is i could only go back to see my husband for 2 weeks max instead of a month ect. as i have residency in morocco for 5 years so that isn't a issue
2) yeah i would have a job in Morocco and then apply while over here and then also set up to have a job waiting for me back home a year away or schooling. so i would continue to work as a teacher from now to june 2017, then find a job that starts july 2017 or school for sep 2017.

would you still think #1 is the best?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
That's news to me, that you can't travel as the sponsor. (I have heard, on the other hand, of inland sponsored spouses having trouble for traveling during the inland application.) I will have to ask one of our consultants if they know anything about this. But what I would say is that CBSA (the border agency) only tracks your entries so even if they have your permission to share this information with IRCC throughout the duration of the application (and do they? I'm not sure if they do nor not), all they could tell IRCC is when you enter. As a citizen, you can come and go as you please. So I'm not sure how this would actually function. But I'll ask.
If you can get a job far in advance and use this as proof that you are settling in Canada, then it's possible they will accept your outland application when you're overseas. But I would think there would still be more you need to prove in terms of your intent to live here, though I'm just guessing. (And, remember, this is at the discretion of the officer: if you get someone who thinks your proof is reasonable, then you're good. If not, you could get rejected...though you can appeal outland.)
I'll get back to you about the CBSA thing.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I was just told that, if anything, it's actually a positive to go visit your spouse during an outland application because it further demonstrates to IRCC (provided you inform them of the time spent together) that you are in a committed relationship and the marriage isn't one of convenience.