Sponsor my husband inland or before going to Canada

Fravica1976

I have canadian citizenship, but living in Portugal with my husband and my 4 year old child, who are not canadian citizens. We want to go to Canada this year. Can they go with me and then apply for sponsorship while in Canada? If so, what do they need to go with me and stay in Canada untill the whole process is taken care of, and approved? And will my husband be able to work there in the meantime?

Rosario

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you are!

Your child may already be a Canadian citizen. You can check here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp

I am also a Canadian citizen living in Chile with my Chilean husband and 2 kids (who are Canadian citizens because I am). We are moving to Canada on May this year. We have been investigating what is the best way for my spouse to move with us and be able to work in Canada while the sponsorship application is being processed. We have decided to file the application from inside Canada, because it seems that the out-of-Canada application is made for spouses living appart from each other.

Anyway, we are gathering all the required documents before we travel, so that when we arrive to Canada we have everything we need to apply right away. We have learned that my spouse can get an open work permit so he can stay in Canada working while the application for sponsorship is processed. You can see it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

I hope this was helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As Rosario said, your child is likely a Canadian citizen. As long as he or she was born after you were naturalized (if you were naturalized) then they are Canadian. If you were born in Canada, then your child is Canadian. If you got your Canadian citizenship through Canadian parents, then your child is likely not Canadian.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Were you born in Canada? or did you have to swear the oath? Either way, your child should be Canadian. It's just your husband you have to worry about sponsoring.

Fravica1976

I was not borned in Canada, but became a citizen at 15 years old, through my parents, who applied for citizenship...so that means that my daughter is a canadian citizen too? Because she was born after 2009

i got this from CIC:
"You are probably a Canadian citizen if?

you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth"