step-daughter. We met 6 years ago and married 3 years ago, this July. How
can I obtain phone/text records for past 6 years? I am also, unclear about
how he should obtain criminal records.....when my husband go to
request/complete, does he advise them that criminal record is for immigration
application, because I didn't see form to print/complete? We also have
concern because I have visited once per year as per my employers allowable
vacation per year....I would generally visit 1-2 week each visit. We talk
several times per day, plus text and skype, whats app ( voice/video
messages)......should we just mention or also provide proof where possible?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to contact your phone providers to get the phone records. Texts you should be able to print out (there are apps).

He just needs to apply for his criminal record. Whatever the process is in his country(ies) of residence.

You need to write a letter about your job and why you can only visit so often. Providing a copy of your contract listing your vacation days would be helpful.

gali

Thanks for response....helpful; police record completed.

Had couple of other questions. Does a parent declaration have to be completed.....by my step daughters mother and if so, when does she deliver to Canadian embassy in Jamaica ,before we submit application or after? Does she have to take it or can my husband and what do you say to embassy?

I have accepted a departure package from my employer which includes a generous payout ...therefore i will be unemployed. I might start an at home business however not immediately, do I have to be employed to sponsor my husband and step daughter

Also what is the approximate processing time for sponsor my husband and step daughter (they are living in Jamaica)......its get more and more difficult being separated from them? I am diabetic and have had medical concerns related an unrelated and someone told me to include that in a letter with application and state the need for my husband to be here now (emotional support)....would this make a difference?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:

Are you talking about a parental declaration for travel? If the mother has joint custody of her child then, yes, she will likely have to provide this, but that would be for the travel to Canada, I believe, and not for the actual sponsorship application (to the best of my knowledge).

You can sponsor while unemployed, you just cannot be receiving social assistance. So if you apply for EI to suplement your severance package, you will make yourself ineligible. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

If you sponsor them from Jamaica, the processing time is currently about 27 months (and, unfortunately, that's the same as "inland", if they are here, sorry to say). The person was talking about "humanitarian and compassionate grounds." We're not sure that this will help speed things up, but it can't hurt. You might as well write it, but be detailed in how your husband will improve your quality of life.

I hope this helps.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So I just got confirmation from teh consultant:
You can indeed submit a humanitarian and compassionate grounds (H&C) request with your sponsorship, but you will have to go to great lengths to prove that your husband really is necessary to help you have quality of life, which may be difficult.
The alternative is for him to apply for H&C with his visitor visa, and then you can sponsor him once he is here.

Hope this helps.

gali

I have heard people getting processed in 7 - 10 months. Is it based on individual circumstances or when your application is submitted? If I submit sponsor application how do i submit under H&C grounds.....is it a separate form or application that I include or is it simply documenting how having him here will improve my quality of life. Also can he apply for a visitors visa if I submit sponsorship application? Can i have my doctor write a letter to include?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, some people get processed that quickly but that's usually due to the where they are applying from. Were these people also Jamaican?

To submit H&C, you have to write a letter saying that's what you are doing, why, and then provide supporting evidence. Your doctor can definitely wirte a letter on your behalf, that would help. I am not an H&C expert, sorry to say. You might want to get professional help with this.

He can apply for a visitor visa. If he applies after you submit the overseas application, then he will have to prove why he and your step daughter will return to Jamaica when the visa expires, and that can be difficult, depending on circumstances.

gali

Yes, these people we Jamaican. So just to clarify, when my husband comes to visit (if granted visa) it will be to see me, visitors visas expire, he will have to return to his job and go back to see his daughter until they are processed (She has to attend school).....so why does he have to prove why he is returning to Jamaica?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It's true that he has to return to Jamaica when his visitor visa expires if you sponsor him "overseas" or "outland." If he comes here to visit you first, then you sponsor him while he is in the country, he doesn't have to return.

If he is visiting you during the overseas sponsorship application: the reason he has to prove he will return to Jamaica is that he has to show he will comply with the terms of the visa. The government will suspect he will attempt to stay (because of the sponsorship application) and he will have to show that he doesn't want to jeopardize that application and so will return to Jamaica.

Does that make sense?