Sponsoring common-law partner from inside Canada post my AOR.

Singh_kaur1

Hello, I’ve seen applicants updating IRCC about their marital status change (true right?) but I haven’t seen cases of common-law status changes after eAPR / AOR / MEP-BIL passed.

I am Inland and applied for PR in Dec 2020 as single, because that time my boyfriend and I had not yet lived together for at least a year in Ontario. This year 2021 (around 3 months later) we would be considered a common-law partnership after having lived together for a year ( signed rental agreement as proof). I understand I would have to update IRCC about my status change via webform, right? - This part is clear

Would it be alright for me to add him in my application considering I already applied as single, if so will my CRS change? Any IRCC link where i can cross check this? I'm surely going to get married to him so that would be the next option, to sponsor him as my spouse? I mean get married to him before even becoming common law partner.

I'm really confused as I don't want to risk him and myself, but I only want to be completely genuine throughout my process.

Thank you, I appreciate all the help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I actually didn't know this was allowed until a week ago. But it does seem that you can add a spouse after you've received and responded to the ITA.

If you want to be safe, marriage is always easier to prove than common-law status. But you can try adding him to your file as a common-law partner, completing the necessary additional paperwork and paying the additional fees, and see what happens.

This is past the point of CRS scores mattering. What matters at this stage is the score for the category you are applying under (Canadian Experience Class, I assume).

If you don't want to risk adding him as common-law, or you don't want to marry before you add him, you can try calling IRCC at 1-888-242-2100, though I'm not sure that will help: the phones are always busy and worse during the pandemic and they do not give legal advice. So the other option is to hire an immigration consultant (RCIC) or lawyer to help you make the decision.

Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. As I said, this is all new to me (as it was not allowed before electronic submissions of immigration applications).

Singh_kaur1

Hi there,
I actually didn't know this was allowed until a week ago. But it does seem that you can add a spouse after you've received and responded to the ITA.

If you want to be safe, marriage is always easier to prove than common-law status. But you can try adding him to your file as a common-law partner, completing the necessary additional paperwork and paying the additional fees, and see what happens.

This is past the point of CRS scores mattering. What matters at this stage is the score for the category you are applying under (Canadian Experience Class, I assume).

If you don't want to risk adding him as common-law, or you don't want to marry before you add him, you can try calling IRCC at 1-888-242-2100, though I'm not sure that will help: the phones are always busy and worse during the pandemic and they do not give legal advice. So the other option is to hire an immigration consultant (RCIC) or lawyer to help you make the decision.

Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. As I said, this is all new to me (as it was not allowed before electronic submissions of immigration applications).
Great! will look into that, thank you so much.