Sponsorship-Financial Requirements and Other Questions

lmkay

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to sponsor my husband to come to Canada. I just wanted to clarify the financial requirements to be approved for sponsorship as I have heard a few different answers. Is there a set income you must meet to be approved? As an example, I have been told from peers that you must have a very god paying job-nurse, doctor etc.- to meet requirement. If you can prove that you have a regular, full time job or even two jobs is that enough? Has anyone here ever been disapproved due to a financial reason?
My second question is, once you file the paper work for spousal sponsorship, Can your spouse apply for a visitors visa to come for a visit while you wait or does this effect the process? My spouse is located in Morocco if this helps :) Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
There is no financial requirement to sponsor. If you are receiving social assistance in Canada, you are ineligible (and in a few other situations, such as if you were in prison). But there is no financial requirement. There is, however, a pledge to financially support your new spouse. If your spouse goes on some kind of social assistance within a certain amount of time after he has been sponsored by you, you will have to pay back the government at some point in the future.
Your husband can absolutely apply for a visitor visa during the process. But he will have to show that he has reason to return to Morocco once the visa's validity has ended, and that can be difficult to prove to the officer's satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

lmkay

So not having a "good enough job" is not a reason to be disapproved to be a sponsor.

Also, Is there paperwork that is specific for the medical exam? Are there certain documents that need to be provided or do you just need a note from your doctor saying you are in good health with no transmissible or fatal diseases?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
No it is not, you're fine, regardless of what you do for a living, provided you are not on social assistance.

You need to contact a Designated Medical Practitioner / Panel Physician: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx Only they can do the exam.

lmkay

Is the medical exam a requirement for both the sponsor and the applicant?

Also, do you know how long these documents (criminal checks,medical exams) are valid for?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
No, just the partner being sponsored has to complete the medical exam. As a citizen, you do not have to pass through any immigration requirements. You just have to demonstrate the relationship is genuine.

The medical exam is good for one year. The criminal check is also good for one year but Citizenship and Immigration Canada wants ones that have been issued less than 3 months previously.