Sponsorship of spouce

Dbuller

I am trying to bring my wife into Canada, but I am told (Canada immigration web site), that if I am paying my ex wife, I do not qualify to sponsor my own wife. Is that not stepping on my rights to have my current wife with me? What right does the government have to say that I can't have my wife living with me?

When differences result in divorce.
The office of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) department does have a variety of rules and specifications that they outline on their website and through other publications. They list a variety of stipulations that must be met, including prerequisite paperwork and other requirements, that must be considered by anyone who wishes to sponsor another person for entry, regardless of prior marital status.

"If you already sponsor a spouse or partner, you cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident." This particular rule was implemented on March 2nd, 2012, when the Conservative government brought this measure into motion in an attempt to prevent the abuse of the sponsorship program.

If this is the case, you may wish to petition under these circumstances. Simply follow the process that married couples go through, but be mindful that your sponsorship application will be subject to close inspection due to the atypical circumstances.

Dbuller

I have never sponsored anyone before. The problem is my ex wife (Born Canadian), decided 16 years later that she wanted my to pay her, and went out to get a court order. Once the court order was in place, I suddenly "do not qualify" to sponsor my current wife, that I married 2 years ago. What I was wondering, is if there is a work around for this situation.