Spousal sponsorship

Pheonix

Hello,

I am a US citizen, and my fiance, with his permanent residency in Canada, will sponsor me for PR as well. We are wondering if the qualification to be "living together for a year" is meant to be consecutive, or cumulative? We are assuming consecutive and from what we've researched so far, but would just like to double check. If it is consecutive, we will spend a month in that year traveling together, off lease; do you think it's simply a matter of proving we did in fact spend that month together, even though we weren't living in one place throughout the month on paper, and that that would still meet the one year requirement?

Another thing we wondered was if during my application for PR (as common law partners), we get married, would that affect the application in any way? Would we need to re-submit? We're engaged now and don't want to wait on the papers going through to get married. Are there other requirements, like needing to be married for a minimum amount (say, a year) that would mean I need to send through a new application after that requirement is met?

Thank you very much in advance, any feedback you may have is greatly appreciated.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Living together for a year is meant to be consecutive. I would say that normally, a vacation like that shouldn't be an issue, but if your lease has ended, and you have no proof that you are living together...well, this I'm not so sure of. Were you at least staying together in the hotels? Do you have joint bills or anything?

I think, if anything, that getting married would help your application. This is the best thing I can suggest given what you've told me:
In your letter, indicate the that you intend to get married (better yet, select the date before you apply, and if you can show an appointment, or a reception booking, or whatever, that would help) and then, once you are married, submit the marriage certificate.
But before you take my word for it, let me double check with one of the consultants.

Riley

Pheonix

Thanks, Riley, for looking into it. What you've provided so far clarifies things a bit. And yes, we would have a joint bank account and perhaps a few bills together at the least.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So I confirmed: just submit your marriage certificate during the application process (with your application number and client number) and it should help things along.