Spouse name on passport required

Harry sidhu

Me and my wife are applying for Canadian PR under express entery from India . She is the prime applicant . We have received ITA and time frame to apply is 90 days .She has not yet added my name on her passport as it was made before we got married. We have our marriage certificate and on my passport , I have added her name ( I renewed it recently ) . So do she needs to add my name in her passport before we apply for PR ? . Is it mandatory ? if not does it attract any risk ? FYI - We got married 4 years back

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
She only needs to change her name on her passport if it is changed already on her other IDs. There is no requirement for her to show a married name on her passport to prove marriage if she did not legally change her name once she married you.

juannaduy

Hi.. Me and my husband wants to imigrate in Canada. I already took IElTS and been reading lots of forums as well as their official site. In our case, I would be the principal applicant, however, i still do not have any valid id to present bearing my spouse surname and even in my passport im still using my maiden name, the only valid document i have is our marriage certificate. We are both working in UAE and been married for 10 months. Should I change my passport and id's first before creating express entry profile so that I will be using his last name on my account?Second, since my husband will be needing ECA also, how will i deliver it to WES? I believe my school will be the one to send the documents via mail. Can I also give the transcript of records of my husband in my school so that they can send it together? lastly, I've read that we can create both a separate profile and whoever gets the ITA will be the primary applicant, is this good or it will just cost additional carges for us? Thanks in advance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Let me try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Yes, you should change your IDs first.
[*]The schools have to send their records directly. They are not allowed to send them to you first.[/list]
Create two separate profiles. Whoever gets the ITA can be the principal applicant. It's better to that.
[/list]

I hope I answered your questions.