Still permanent resident ?

Mark71

My question is following ....
I am a german citizen but I lived as a permanent resident for 17 years in Canada ...I went back to Germany because my parents health was getting worse and worse and so I spent here in Germany about 5 years ( PR card expired in the meantime ) and both my parents passed on.
Am I able to renew my PR card and move back to Canada or do I need to go though the whole immigration process again because I lived so long outside the country ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, you still have PR status if you never renounced.

In normal times you could try to enter Canada by car (from the US) with your Record of Landing/Landing Paper and see if you could keep your status. However, this could be a lot harder during the pandemic.

Your choices:
  • Travel to the US and try to enter Canada with your Record of Landing - they will either let you in, revoke your status on the spot or let you in but inform you that when you apply for your next PR Card it will be issued with a limited validity
  • Formally renounce your PR and immigrate again
  • Apply for a PRTD, they will most likely revoke your status, and then you can apply to immigrate again

Mark71

Thank you for your answer - I won’t put myself through the whole immigration procedure again considering I am 48 now and was 22 as i immigrated to Canada the first time .
I was just not sure if I have to fill fill those 3 years in Canada out of 5 years ever single time as long as i am a PR or if once full filled my status just stays .
I could have had my Canadian Citizenship a few times over by the time i was „ over there „

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It's 2 years out of 5 years for PR; 3 years out of 5 for citizenship.

Officially you have to fulfill the residency requirement to maintain status. However, in reality, you only have to fulfill it when you apply for your next PR Card.