Study permit within Canada

muxavbanke

Good afternoon!
I'm Maria from Russia. Right now i have short term Canadian visa (6 month, status is 'student' but i don't have actual study permit) which expires at 17th of July. Can i apply for a study permit within Canada?
Same question about long term visa.
And some more questions: I found information that for a study permit i would be required to prove to an officer that i will leave Canada after my studies; which documents can prove that? Will it help if i have immovable property in my home country?
Should i prove to an officer that i will leave after my studies if i would like to work for 3 more years after my 3 years of studying in the university?
Thanks for consideration in this matter!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Maria,
You will have to wait until June 1st in order to apply from within Canada. That obviously makes it a little risky, since the processing time for your application will likely be around 9 weeks. I'm just the webmaster, so I'm not sure whether you would qualify for "implied status" during this application.
What do you mean by "long term visa"? Your study permit will last slightly longer than your program of study.

You will have to prove that you will return to your home country and, yes, it will help that you have "immovable" property. Just need to show that and other ties - accounts, a job you're taking a leave from, stuff like that.

You have to satisfy the officer that you have good reason to return to your home country but it is quite common for people to get "post-graduate" work permits after they study here. I'm not sure there's an issue with wishing to work after you graduate.

muxavbanke

Thanks a lot for the information!
I mean: after I will receive a study permit should i apply for visa? Can I do it within Canada?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, as of June 1st study visas will come with the right to work part time outside of school (you had to apply for an "off-campus" work permit previously). But in order to work after your studies, you will have to apply for a "post graduate" study permit. http://www.immigroup.com/news/new-rules-international-students-studying-canada-june-1-2014