Travel History

canadagirl07

My partner went to Spain with his mother when he was 13 years old and stayed there until he was 18 years old. Apparently he did this all while on a tourist visa but without any problem while in Spain or when he left. We are still intending to list this on the travel history. However, he does not have any of his old passports showing this trip. Is there a need to document this trip or can he just state it in his list of travel history? Should we explain about the tourist visa issue? Does it matter that he was a minor and had no real choice in the decision when he was brought there?

The other trip we took together was from Bolivia to Peru. He did not need to travel with a passport and just used his residence card. As a result, he does not have any of the papers that he was given when he crossed that border, they are usually just thrown out once you return back to Bolivia. Should we just explain this in a letter as well?

Thank you.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
For question 8 on schedule 1, I see the following:
Since the age of 18 or during the past five years, whichever is more recent, have you traveled to any country other than the country of your citizenship or your current country of
residence?
Sounds like he doesn't need to worry about living there (or at least until the end).

canadagirl07

Yes that is correct but when submitting an online application they ask for travel history of past 10 years and want supporting documentation. He is currently 24

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Oh right, the online application. And it doesn't say "Since the age of 18 or during the past ten years, whichever is more recent,"?

When I said "until the end" I just meant the time he was in Spain that he was over 18 years of age.

canadagirl07

This I copied from the information requested:

Document: Travel History

You must provide information on your valid visa from the United States as well as previous travel history. This can include copies of

your previous passports and/or visas (used within the last 10 years to travel outside your country)
entry and exit stamps
study and/or work permits that indicate your duration outside of your country
expired or valid visas
boarding passes
If you hold a valid visa from the United States, provide a clear, scanned copy of your visa. If you are living outside your country of citizenship, please submit a copy of your immigration status document for the country where you currently reside. This could be a work permit, study permit, visa, or any other document that authorizes you to be in the country where you are living.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, okay.
I'd say provide as much information as he can find. And for everything he doesn't have, include in the letter as you suggested. He should be up front about why he doesn't have the proof. For example, if I was in his situation I would say I couldn't possibly have known I was going to need my old passport.

Hope this helps and sorry for any confusion.

Riley

canadagirl07

So in your opinion does that information imply that you need to provide a list of your past travel history for 10 years? It is weird to me that the Schedule 1 then only asks about past 5 years or since you were 18.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
That certainly seems like it to me. But I agree, it's inconsistent. The thing is, if you give more information than required, nothing bad will happen. If you don't give enough, he could get his visa rejected. So he might as well provide everything he can.