Travelling On a Valid PR Card while Renewal of PR status application is in process.

chiskofd

I landed on 24 Sep. 2014. I had to leave Canada due to my job. I returned in August 2017 and started living in Canada. My first five years of PR in Canada ended on September 23, 2019. I have applied for the renewal of my PR status as I have completed my residency obligations and total number of days in Canada are more than 730 during September 24, 2014 to September 23, 2019.

As my PR renewal is in process, my PR card has a validity until March 2020. I have to travel out of Canada for a week due to family emergency. Can I use my still valid PR card to travel while PR status renewal is in process? Will there be any issues in returning to Canada if the I go before receiving my new PR Card?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can use your PR Card until it expires.

There shouldn't be any issue as long as the trip doesn't affect whether or not you make the cutoff.

Generally, it takes about 45 days to process PR cards for new permanent residents once IRCC receives a complete application package from individuals who have fulfilled their residency requirements. Applications for renewed PR Cards generally take 104 days. You can find up-to-date application processing times on the IRCC website.

If you must travel during this period, you may continue to use your valid PR card for re-entry into Canada.

This is the official explanation on the IRCC Website