Triple citizenship with Canada, US and Sri Lanka

snooks

Hello,

I am a naturalized Canadian citizen. We immigrated to Canada from Sri Lanka in 2003. When I became a Canadian citizen, I lost my Sri Lanka citizenship and I had to re-apply to get a dual citizenship. So I did that, and now I am a dual citizenship holder with Sri Lanka and Canada.

After that, I got a job in US and I have been living in the US for a few years now and I have a green card. I am eligible to apply for the US citizenship. I am considering applying for the US citizenship, but I would like to understand if that causes any issues for my Canadian citizenship. Is there a risk of me losing it?

I would like to keep the option open of moving back to Canada with my family in the future. My spouse is a Sri Lanka citizen and she does not have any other citizenship.

Could you please advise? Are there any risks of me losing the Canadian citizenship? What do you think I should do if I want to move back to Canada for a few years, but having the option to move back to US again in the future?

Thank you!

Multiple citizenship/multiple nationality is a person's citizenship status, in which a person is concurrently regarded as a citizen of more than one state under the laws of those states. Conceptually, citizenship is focused on the internal political life of the state and nationality is a matter of international dealings.
Most countries which permit dual citizenship may still not recognize the other citizenship of its nationals within its own territory. For example, in relation to entry into the country, national service, duty to vote, etc. Similarly, it may not permit consular access by another country for a person who is also its national.
So, Have a in-depth analysis and decide for yourself as you are the best decision taker for your family.
All the Best