TRP for Australian citizen with record

Hi Friends,

I am an Australian citizen seeking a Canadian visa to live and work in Toronto. Although I already have a job and place to reside upon arrival, I believe I may be inadmissible due to a conviction record dating back to over 6 years ago.
I understand In Canada I may not be admissible until 10 years has passed; however, I am certain I am rehabilitated and pose no menacing threat to society.
After reading thoroughly through your website and other Canadian immigration websites, I believe my best option would be to apply for a temporary residents permit (TRP). I can provide any documents needed for an immigration officer to determine whether I will be accepted into Canada such as:
Conviction record, character references (from date of offence and current), steps I have taken since date of offence, a valid job offer from Toronto based company and anything else that may be required.

I plan on travelling to Canada in may 2019 for however long my TRP is valid for. How easy will it be for me to apply for my TRP at a port of entry (vancouver or toronto airport)? or should i not declare my conviction record since it has been more than 5 years?

I look forward to hearing back.

Kind Regards

Riley Haas

Active Member
Depending upon the conviction, you might be eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation, which solves the inadmissibility problem forever, provided you are not convicted of further crimes. Otherwise you can just apply for the TRP, but I'm not sure a TRP would be granted for a work permit. (The reason I say that is that TRPs are usually granted for weeks or months, work permits for up to 4 years.) That is a question for a lawyer or an RCIC and I am just the forum admin. If you are eligible for Criminal Rehab, I'd go that route. A lawyer or RCIC might have a different opinion.

You can apply for both a TRP and Criminal Rehab at the port of entry but it would be good to prepare in advance, perhaps with some legal advice so you make sure you have everything you need. However, it's possible that you would be denied you an eTA because of this conviction, meaning you'd have to apply for Criminal Rehab or a TRP before even flying to Canada. That is also a possibility. (Off the top of my head, I don't know what the eTA process is like, but I assume they ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime.)

You shouldn't lie to the immigration or border authorities about your conviction. If you lie that will negatively affect your attempts to travel to, work and live in Canada forever.

I hope you find this helpful.
Thanks for your reply,

I definitely want to do what is right and tell the truth, However because my travel plans are quite soon, a criminal rehabilitation application might take too long to process. Would a port of entry application be suited or should i apply for TRP to visit in may and then apply for rehabilitation and begin my working holiday once that is valid?

I have have a lot more questions so i think i will have to book an over the phone consultation with Immigroup after this conversation.


Riley Haas

Active Member
My understanding - but don't take my word for it - is you can apply for both a TRP and Criminal Rehab at the border and they make the determination then and there, but I'm not 100% sure and you should definitely speak to one of our consultants or a lawyer. We can do phone but we can also do a Skype consultation which would likely be cheaper for you if you're in Australia at the moment.

(+1) 416-962-2623 or 1-866-760-2623 if you're in North America. [email protected]

If you want to email me personally it's [email protected] or you can DM me through the forum.