Truck driver training for foreigners.

Ayomatt

Hello guys. I will love information on how to get trained as a truck driver in Canada. I am currently in Nigeria but will love to take advantage of the immigration channels afforded to Truck drivers. Even if I have to start by traveling there on a student visa for CDL truck driver training.

At this point in time, truck driving is still considered an unskilled occupation in Canada. There isn’t a particular visa especially for truck drivers as such, if you’re interested in obtaining a job as a truck driver in Canada, you’ll need to apply through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The TFWP allows Canadian employers to hire people from outside of Canada to fill temporary jobs and skills shortages.

Here are a few things that you need on your way to your dream trucker career:
1. You must possess a G class driver’s license or higher.
2. A clean driving record
3. You must pass a written and road test.
4. Pass a medical test.

Hope this info is helpful.

Ayomatt

i have seen a truck driver school. I just do not know what sort of visa to apply for when they give me an admission letter, after making payment for training that is.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So if the program is less than 6 months you may be able to attend school on a temporary resident visa (TRV) but convincing IRCC that you are coming to attend truck driver school and then leaving the country immediately after might be a tall order.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, one of the main concerns IRCC has with temporary residents (visitors, people on study permits and work permits) is overstaying. Prior to Trump's election, Canada's illegal immigration problem was basically only those who overstay. So the burden then falls on the applicant to prove they won't, which can be frustrating.