UK Passport documents/expiration

cnyel1967

New to forum. Mom is British and I'll be applying for British citizenship and passport this year. My question is since I have to send my valid Canadian passport with my application, what happens if my passport expires during the process? I believe my PP expires in Oct., 2019 and I know the citizenship and passport process can take up to 11-12 months to process. Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You're applying directly for a British passport? Or are you registering as a British citizen first (because you were born before 1983)?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe you have to send the original unless they request it. Do you have the link where they say you need to send the original?

If they do need the original, it does make it basically impossible to travel. But if you're just worried about the expiry date, I don't think that matters. What they are looking for is a document that proves your identity.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Oh that's our form, if we help you out. So you'd be sending it to us, for us to look over. Let me check with our British passport expert to see if we send the original to the UK.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Just seeing if I can get you a time frame for how long they take to send the originals back. You might just be better off calling us, if you're going to use us, anyway. 1•866•760•2623

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, apparently full-colour copies of every single page of your passport (regardless of whether or not there are stamps) are accepted in lieu of originals for Canadian and US passports only. So you should be okay with the copies for this document. Of course, they could always ask for the original.

Apparently they hold on to originals for at least a month or two.