Visa for husband

Fravica1976

I am planning on going to Canada (as a citizen) and apply to sponsor my husband there...how can he be able to come with me and stay there legally untill all the paper work is approved?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Your husband does not need a tourist visa to come to Canada if he is a Portuguese citizen. What you should do is prepare your documentation (marriage certificate and translation, shared accounts, etc) and bring it with you when you fly to Canada. After entering Canada, you can apply for "Inland Sponsorship" and he can apply for an "open work permit".

Schindianajones

With which countries does this process work similarly? For example, if I were to marry a Russian woman in Russia, would this work the same way? Just fly back to Canada with her and then apply for inland sponsorship?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you married a Russian woman, the Russian woman would need a visa to come with you. But once you got here, you would tell the CBSA (border guards) that you are sponsoring her, and they should let her in.

And I misspoke about applying at the port of entry. You merely tell them at the port of entry that you intend to apply, and then apply once you are in Canada.

Hope this helps.

rsimmigration

Even if your husband get a visa, you can be refused entry.

A visitor/tourist visa is designed for those who will return at to their home country before expiry. These are not you or your husbands intentions.