Visitor visa letter of invitation Canada

Talkbacktime

Hello
Seeking some advice on a letter of invitation for my boyfriend. We are trying to get the visa rolling now so that he will be able to visit me later this year when covid is not a major problem (fingers crossed). In the letter of invitation, should I just say he is my boyfriend or is it best to just say friend? I've heard conflicting info that the office may sometimes be worried about partners visiting for fear of them not returning...

Also, the letter template says to include details on when the person plans to visit. What should I put in the letter if we don't have a ticket purchased? Are we expected to have booked a flight prior to getting the visa (as evidence that the intent to travel is real)?

Any advice would be greatly . Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You should never lie however if you mention he's your boyfriend you and he both have to convince the IRCC official that your boyfriend isn't coming here to get married and be sponsored for PR. He will need a return ticket and proof of his ties to his home country (job, lease, etc.).

You should wait to write the letter when you have firmer plans. Not having information about the trip will raise suspicions he's coming here to get sponsored.

Talkbacktime

You should never lie however if you mention he's your boyfriend you and he both have to convince the IRCC official that your boyfriend isn't coming here to get married and be sponsored for PR. He will need a return ticket and proof of his ties to his home country (job, lease, etc.).

You should wait to write the letter when you have firmer plans. Not having information about the trip will raise suspicions he's coming here to get sponsored.
Thanks for this info. As the person providing the invitation letter, do I also need to include my bank statement as proof of funds? He is able to fully fund his trip, but I'm wondering if I should also provide account information. Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If he's paying for the trip you don't need to prove you can cover it. But I don't think there's harm in saying you can help pay for it if you need to. What country is he from?

Talkbacktime

If he's paying for the trip you don't need to prove you can cover it. But I don't think there's harm in saying you can help pay for it if you need to. What country is he from?
Sorry for the very late reply. Ha. He is from Ghana. Does that make a difference?

I will state that I can help pay. Just wasn't sure if I need to show them bank account balances and what not for letters of invitation for visitor visas.

Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it does, unfortunately. Basically, there are certain countries that IRCC believes (rightly or wrongly) people coming from are more likely to overstay. So, for those countries, it's better to provide more information about ties to home and itinerary and the like.