want to have the name of my foreign passport on citizenship certificate

kiran

Hi there,
I became a Canadian citizen and on my citizenship certificate the name displayed is only a part of my name which matches the Confirmation of Permanent residence(CPR). But the actual name on my Foreign passport at the time of landing is my full name. At the time of landing due to character limitation they have truncated my name and have not mentioned anywhere (remarks) on the CPR my full name (name on my Foreign passport ) .
Now, i want to have my full name ( name on my Foreign Passport) on my citizenship certificate. What do i have to do? Can I apply for Amendment of CPR and use that for applying a new citizenship certificate? My problem is i don't have any id except my drivers license(shows only part of my name) from a different province in canada and my Foreign passport showing my full name . Ofcourse i have my Birth certificate, degree certificates with my full name. With these limited documents will i be able to apply for citizenship certificate.
Could you Please help me with a solution. I am stuck where i can also not apply for a passport. Kindly, reply soon.Thank you in advance.

Your's
Kiran

kiran

Hi,

I did check my mail. But i am not sure if i can mail my info... Anyways thank you so much for ur reply.

It will be great if u can answer another question of mine. Does citizenship canada accept Statutory Declaration Stating this is my name along with all the document proofs from my home country.

Thanks,
Kiran.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
We don't need you to mail your documents, just scan them and email those scans to [email protected]. If you do not have a scanner, you can fax copies of the documents to 416-760-2623 instead. Either way, we can give you a much better opinion of your options if we can see the differences in your name between your passport and your CPR.

As to your question, in our experience a statutory declaration is not sufficient. They will issue your certificate with the name they have in their system - that, is your misspelled name - even if you submit the declaration explaining the situation. You can certainly try, but we don't think it will work. You basically have two options: change your name in Canada by applying for a name change in the province in which you live, or apply to have your record of landing or CPR amended. After you have done either of these, you will be able to submit a citizenship certificate application to change your name on that document.

Hope this helps,

Riley

kiran

I can give you how my name displays on my Foreign passport and on my CPR

Name displayed on Foreign passport:

Given Name(s): Venkata Lakshmi Raja Kiranmai

Surname: Sunil Manikandan

Name displayed on CPR:

Given name(s) : Venkata Lakshmi

Surname: Sunil Manikandan

I want to have my name as Venkata Lakshmi Raja Kiranmai Sunil Manikandan

I know it is a long name but, it is my full name.

Now about amending my CPR.

I called call centre for immigration canada and they said that , the name might not be changed due to character limitation. When i asked is it possible to change the name on citizenship certificate with amended CPR, they said an ID is required showing my changed name.

But here in my situation i have an ID showing my name as Venkata Lakshmi Sunil Manikandan. And i don?t think my full name can be included on any of my ID?s( due to the length).And also they are requesting a primary ID with Fullname to get my ID updated.

Now i am left in a situation where i have only my Foreign passport and Birth certificate showing my Full name. I don?t have any proof provided by canada saying this is my full name.

Please help.

Thanks,
Kiran

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kiran,
Our resident expert in federal and provincial IDs tells me that no Canadian ID will be able to fit all 40 characters (plus spaces) of your name. She thinks you have only one potential route: if you get the statutory declaration you asked me about, with an ID that shows most of 'Venkata Lakshmi Raja Kiranmai Sunil Manikandan' on it, you may be able to convince someone at some level (likely not CIC) to change one of your Canadian IDs to contain the full name in the electronic record (your full name will not fit on the card itself). Then, if you can do that, you would have take this ID with most of your name on it, and with an electronic record of your full name, and submit it to CIC as part of your citizenship certificate application. Then, they will likely do the same: amend their electronic records to your proper full, name and print some of your name on the actual paper certificate.
However, she is not sure anyone at the provincial level will let you do this. You can try, but she thinks you will likely get rejected.
Sorry about that.

Riley