What course/program could help me retrain and become a skilled work (Sales, IT, etc...) in Canada?

Elysium1982

My story is a bit peculiar. I am a Hungarian citizen, but I have a BA in Languages (English/Spanish) and a PGCEi (distance learning..so it is not very attractive to the Board of Educators in Canada). Plus 11 years of teaching experience (ESL, IB MYP, HoS).

I understand that it is a lengthy process to immigrate to Canada and it doesn't happen overnight. Can anyone advise me on what to do in order to retrain there (maybe study part-time and get a part-time job) and which industry would be recommended to someone who has some sales experience and 11 years of ESL teaching experience?

I am kind of open to several options...I have been considering IT and Sales. I just don't know how to start it. I have saved up some money, but I couldn't afford a super expensive course and support myself forever. I would need a good plan that helps me financially and academically too.

My plan is to visit in the summer of 2021 and check where I'd like to live and what I could do. Then wait another year and set everything in motion while saving more money and planning the thing.

Thank you.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
For the last few years, study permits have included a part time work permit. So one thing you could do is find an affordable school and work part time (20 hours per week) to help pay for it and your living expenses.

After completing your studies, you would then be eligible for an "open" work permit, which means you don't need a job offer. If you worked in a skilled occupation for a year on this work permit, you could apply for PR through the "Canadian Experience Class", rather than the usual Skilled Worker avenue.

Elysium1982

For the last few years, study permits have included a part time work permit. So one thing you could do is find an affordable school and work part time (20 hours per week) to help pay for it and your living expenses.

After completing your studies, you would then be eligible for an "open" work permit, which means you don't need a job offer. If you worked in a skilled occupation for a year on this work permit, you could apply for PR through the "Canadian Experience Class", rather than the usual Skilled Worker avenue.
Right. Thank you. This is really helpful. Is there a place where I could browse such courses? Google is a great option, but it doesn't offer the complexity or respond to a personal situation.

I have a BA in languages and a postgraduate degree in Education. I am wondering what I could build on top of this, but I could maybe become a school counsellor or something similar. I don't really know how to start all this.

Elysium1982

I'm sorry to say I don't know of one myself.

I Googled and found this: https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/careers/careers-by-major-languages Don't know if it helps at all.
That is actually really helpful. Thank you.

I have been also trying to find certificate (1-year long) courses at universities, but it is insane how expensive they are. Obviously, it is because I fall into the "international fee" category. I have been entertaining the idea of learning sign language or becoming a counsellor, but I need to research these options more.

Thank you mate.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, international fees are quite high. The sort of good news is that most of these schools are still less expensive than American universities/colleges (I think).

Glad I could help at least a little bit.