What's the best way to re-activate my PR status

herge53

Dear All,

I am new to this forum and wish I had known about it before as it would have helped a lot.

Here's my situation: I am a French Citizen who was twice granted PR status (and card) back in 1998 and more "recently" 2003 though did not manage for professional and personal reasons to comply with the residency requirements (PR card expired 2008). I am legally married to a Canadian Citizen and our kid is dual citizen of France and Canada.My wife and I have both been working abroad in the humanitarian sector since 2005 hence my non compliance with PR obligations. I have been offered a permanent high level position with a Montreal based company and now the question is what the best course of action would be to renew my PR card (and status). Should I submit a PRTD application as explained by the local VSF here or select another option? The likelihood of my PR status to be renewed seems limited considering I have been away from Canada for over 10 yrs now.

Thanks for your feedback

Appreciated

Best

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, PR status does not expire, you have to lose it. (Your card can expire, but that is another matter.) That means that you most likely still have status in Canada and will not be able to apply for PR status again, or for a work permit or even an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) without renouncing your old status first.

If you submit a PRTD application right now, they may revoke your status, depending upon how satisfactorily you can prove you have been living with your Canadian citizen spouse overseas: you need to prove you have been living with a Canadian citizen overseas for the last 5 years. If you can demonstrate this satisfactorily, you should be able to get your PRTD. If not, they will revoke your status. That's the first and best option, I think. If you want others, I can give them to you as well.

herge53

Thanks for your prompt reply .very useful. We have been together since 2009, PACS by French Authority in 2011 and married 2015. If that does not work and considering that I have been offered a high level job offer in Montreal, which other option(s) should I consider? Work permit and then re-apply for the 3rd time for my PR. Appreciated. thx

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, start with applying for your PRTD, but you must ensure you demonstrate that the time you have spent overseas has been with your Canadian citizen partner. You'll need to prove shared residence, but shared accounts are good too. The more evidence the better.

Only if your PRTD application is rejected should you (or can you) consider alternatives. You should do this PRTD application ASAP if you have a job waiting.